A Spyderco Vrango by Michael Henningsson caught my eye...

myu

... and I decided this would be my first Spyderco.

The things I appreciate about this knife:
  • Ergonomics -- handle is wonderfully contoured. Your fingers fit perfectly within the two arcs. Everything is cambered & smoothed off. There's no thumb stud or choil to get in your way. No jimping required on the blade back because of the steep contour. Clip is super tight, but also finished off with no hot spots.
  • Liner lock -- the liner moves well into position, completely covered by the blade back end. There isn't a handle groove cut for it, so there's no chance in accidental disengagement.
  • Action -- you can see at about 10 degrees, the liner stages into position, then in the full extension snaps into locked place. When the blade is returned, within a few millimeters, there's a "close assist", springing into full closure. No way will blade slip out by accident. The blade is tight, but not enough to prevent a good flick open. No "grit" at all, totally smooth.
  • Aesthetics -- the machining is top notch. Brushed steel gleams beautifully. The carbon fiber inserts are completely flush and seamless, and show off nice depth as you angle it in bright light.
  • Weight -- it's substantial for such a small knife, but not unduly heavy. It makes for a solid, luxurious feel.
I'm very impressed! Glad I finally joined the Spyderco club.

Last edited:
Yep gorgeous knife. I love everything about it except for the tip-down only pocket clip. So I took off the clip and carry in a leather slip inside pocket.
I agree on the ergos. I think the designer must have the same medium sized hands as me.

Reactions: myu
That is just the tip of the iceberg, once you start there is no stopping(thank goodness). Never new knife collecting could be so fun.
I can definitely see the allure. I'm not a serious knife guy, but appreciate artistry in industrial & tool design. I saw some Olamic Cutlery knives that blew me away... but their prices make Spyderco look much more friendly!
Yep gorgeous knife. I love everything about it except for the tip-down only pocket clip. So I took off the clip and carry in a leather slip inside pocket.I agree on the ergos. I think the designer must have the same medium sized hands as me.
I see what you mean. Yeah, for an occasional carry, not too bothered by the clip, but knife sure looks fine without it. My hands are large (sometimes even take XL in gloves), but the contour of the body/handle accommodates me. I just wish the anodizing wasn't so fragile. I got this as a "shelf wear" example, not used. Blade is pristine but the body has some scratches. Buffing it would probably take the coloring off...

I love mine but wish you could switch the pocket clip to tip up. It really is a stout little knife.

Back