A steak Knife of sorts

So I'm back home for the holidays and have been fairly bored, so I decided to make a knife that I could use in the kitchen. Instead of heat treating it like I did before, I decided to temper the file back and just grind from there.

This one took me about 1/5th the time my last one did, and consequently I had more problems with it, but I think it turned out pretty good. This time I found a piece to the dremel that can put a 30 degree angle on each side. While the grind lines look good, It's a kitchen knife, and I need it to be around 20 each. Any tips on how to regrind it right? Steady hands? I screwed up my last one and had to sand it down to a convex edge to hide the mistakes.

Again I used hidden dowels because (A. I don't have pins or know enough to use them, and (B. I like the look of this wood uninterrupted.

Here are the Specs:

Blade Thickness: 3/32"
Blade Length: 3.5"
Handle Length: 4"
Handle Material: Black and White Ebony
OA Length: 7.5"

CameraZOOM-20111229162734.jpg

CameraZOOM-20111229180501.jpg

CameraZOOM-20111230212618.jpg

CameraZOOM-20111231204604.jpg

CameraZOOM-20111231204622.jpg

Hope you enjoy! Thanks for looking

Pardon me for saying so, but that's not much of a bevel. As for tips on regrinding it... just keep doing it. Don't stop so soon. Aim much higher in the blade. Use files instead of the Dremel.

Look up draw filing. The bevel should come 1/2 way up the blade. Nice looking shape. Be sure to check out the "sticky" on how to make a knife from a file.

I know, the only reason why I did that was that I had a guide to make the bevel straight. I tried to do a scandi grind on my last knife and screwed it up. I will look up draw filing, I would like to get it right. Thanks for the suggestions

If you would like to try working on a piece of Aldo's 1084 instead of a file, drop me an e-mail with your address. I'll be happy to send you a free 10 inch piece so you can compare.

looks good, for the bevels, use that grinder behind the knife in the 3rd pic. with all the stuff on the right side of it, you wont be able to grind from the right side. i have a ryobi 4x36, with tilt table that I started with, so I just laid it flat, and learned how to grind the bevels in. just like you are sharpening a knife. take light, even cuts starting from ricasso all the way to the point, count strokes, you will get the hang of it. now I have a 2x 48, that I mounted vertically, with smaller platen, and I still freehand everything.

Tryppyr, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the offer, but I will be leaving in 3 days and will no longer have a shop to work in. And joe, I did that with my last knife but I think I get impatient with it and screwed it up. I think I will stick with the filing for now to avoid failure. I will try that on my next knife. Thanks for the advice

thomas edison said he didnt fail to make a lightbulb 1000 times before he suceeded, he found 1000 ways to not make a light bulb before he found a way to make one.

hope I quoted right and it makes sense, its still kinda early

Back