A Stitch in Time

I wish I could remember where it was Dave, it was one of those things I looked up when I woke up and then lost it. Like when you remember a dream and say to yourself "I've gotta remember that" and an hour later all you can remember is that you had a crazy dream.

I like that "thin place" story, that's a great way to put it. I don't believe in coincidence and think that there's something in the ether that connects us" all. This year I got hooked on near death experience interviews and was fascinated in how much they have in common, not the details but the big picture of how souls rotate through different existences and that our time here is temporary. It gives new meaning to Momento Mori (Remember that you must die). We all gotta go sometime.

Man, I gotta lay off the Marcus Aurelius!!

Edit to add: I just realized how the title of this thread applies to the conversation... Coincidence? I think not 😁
I get it. A good day any more is when I can remember what I came inside to get! Oh yeah nuther cup of coffee thats it!

Yep that is all very interesting stuff. A stitch in time indeed! Here's a lil tidbit I wrote for a deal over in Traditionals. Not really Celtic mysticism but seemed that way, at the time to my uneducated country boy eyes. I was dating an older woman for a few weeks, in Glasgow, she was an elegant and cultured 21, I was 20 and not so much.

"I need to get some cash", Ruth said as we parked on the street next to the bank. "They're closed its like 6:15 or something", I said. She reached in the back for her purse and got a piece of plastic out. "What are you going to do with that credit card?" I asked her. "Its not a credit card, sit tight I'll be right back." I watched her walk up to the stone wall of the bank and put that piece of plastic in the stone wall. I saw the stone wall spit money back out at her. She walked back to the car sat down and smiled and drove off when I said: 'What kind of mystical Celtic magic is this?" I'd just seen my first ATM. Money coming out of the wall of the bank! Who'd of figured.

Anyhoo, she thought it was really funny when I asked her "What kind of mystical Celtic magic is this?"

We ain't even got started on Nessie yet! Have you ever seen the movie "Local Hero" with Burt Lancaster. It's a little obscure but it's a subtle comedy of comparisons between life here and the Highlands. One particular quick lil scene at the end would fit this discussion.

Love what you are doing with the kids and the leatherwork stamping. Thats really great. If I can ever be of assistance, maybe another set of eyes to review or whatever, ya don't even have to ask.

Man, I gotta lay off the Marcus Aurelius!! Nah!

Last edited:
I get it. A good day any more is when I can remember what I came inside to get! Oh yeah nuther cup of coffee thats it!

Yep that is all very interesting stuff. A stitch in time indeed! Here's a lil tidbit I wrote for a deal over in Traditionals. Not really Celtic mysticism but seemed that way, at the time to my uneducated country boy eyes. I was dating an older woman for a few weeks, in Glasgow, she was an elegant and cultured 21, I was 20 and not so much.

"I need to get some cash", Ruth said as we parked on the street next to the bank. "They're closed its like 6:15 or something", I said. She reached in the back for her purse and got a piece of plastic out. "What are you going to do with that credit card?" I asked her. "Its not a credit card, sit tight I'll be right back." I watched her walk up to the stone wall of the bank and put that piece of plastic in the stone wall. I saw the stone wall spit money back out at her. She walked back to the car sat down and smiled and drove off when I said: 'What kind of mystical Celtic magic is this?" I'd just seen my first ATM. Money coming out of the wall of the bank! Who'd of figured.

Anyhoo, she thought it was really funny when I asked her "What kind of mystical Celtic magic is this?"

We ain't even got started on Nessie yet! Have you ever seen the movie "Local Hero" with Burt Lancaster. It's a little obscure but it's a subtle comedy of comparisons between life here and the Highlands. One particular quick lil scene at the end would fit this discussion.

Love what you are doing with the kids and the leatherwork stamping. Thats really great. If I can ever be of assistance, maybe another set of eyes to review or whatever, ya don't even have to ask.

Man, I gotta lay off the Marcus Aurelius!! Nah!
That's too funny, "What sorcery is this! The banks not open yet it spits money through the wall!!".

Haven't seen Local Hero but I'm a big Burt Lancaster fan, I'll have to check it out.

I'll take you up on the assistance offer. I'd like to run some things by you about the big project the kids and I have been working on. I'll shoot you a PM.

Next time I went with her. There was this thing on the wall and she put a plastic card that looked like a ........credit card but wasn't....... into this thing and it gave her money! Whats next computers in the home? Whoda thunk it!

Be my pleasure.

Order a 32oz bottle of Bag Kote I says, it'll be fine I says.....:rolleyes:
20220930_185736-01.jpeg

That's what I get for ordering from Amazon. Haven't had any freezes, just lazy packaging, lid unscrewed and seal broken.

that stinks John I always worry when I order dye online from any site so far so good

that stinks John I always worry when I order dye online from any site so far so good
Yeah, I always have to remind myself to order liquids before winter as some won't ship when the temps are freezing. Need to go through the shop and see what I need.

Was able to salvage an ounce of Bag Kote out of that bottle and have been experimenting with Dave's suggestion of mixing it with Hi-Liter, even threw in some antique and that made for an interesting finish. We'll be using it on the projects the kids are working on, looking forward to revealing more about that soon.

Stitches in time:

The day before we start gathering our cattle for a branding we go through the corrals. This was last Monday this time. We lease the ranch annually and its been for sale since 1988, when I first came to Tehachapi. With an annual lease you don't want to dump a lot of money into improvements so you become masters of the patch. How can you fix something without buying a lot of new materials or putting a bunch of time in it cause ya may not becoming back come Dec. Ya patch. Our corrals are old. Our ground is older. People have been here a long time. One of the things we do is go through the pens, filling in squirrel and snake holes, picking up trash that might of blown in, checking gates, banging up loose boards etc. Our corrals are so old we found these hand forged square nails as we were cleaning up:

fdssLbE.jpg

They're pretty cool. But ya know there is always someone that comes before. We also found this piece of worked and chipped obsidian:

3y098UZ.jpg

akp0avl.jpg

8A9kL5E.jpg

Obsidian is not found around here and so was a trade item for the locals. The locals for the most part used a more flint type stone and pieces are often found too:

5PjshSL.jpg

mKSTrsi.jpg

These pieces were found another time but the edges are still sharp and would cut today.

Once when cleaning up the pens I found this almost perfect small game arrow point:

WTwfSX8.jpg

9Nlw2WR.jpg

Sadly the tip broke off living in a drawer in my shop:

Bqs7Hmi.jpg

Which really shows ya the fragility of these items. Imagine spending all the time to create that arrowhead and then ya got probably one shot at a rabbit. A miss in the rocky ground around here probably meant an unusable arrowhead. Several stitches in time.

Last edited:
That looks great!!
Thanks Dave!
I still got dibs on the first kids tooled, custom stitched drink coaster right?

Right?

😁
Absolutely, they're on the leather to-do list!

We're finishing up the last of the big project that I can't wait for you guys to see. The kids have worked really hard and are excited.

Just checkin in, since this is our leather thread I thought I'd post it here.

Caught the very end of the leather show in Sheridan today. Going again in the morning. Picked up a few Wayne Jueschke (juhh shkee) stamps, they ain't cheap but they make a nice impression. Gonna hit Barry King's table tomorrow and
blow errr invest some more cash. A guy could go broke buying stamps quick but they are a valuable and necessary investment if you want to do things right in my opinion. I need to pick up a couple of bar grounders and a flower center and let the kids pick something out. Going to look for a couple of other odds and ends at the show and then see the leatherwork show. Found out there's a youth category that the kids can submit their work in the competition, they liked that idea and want to do it next year.

Was able to talk with Don Gonzales about knives and sheaths a good bit. He's a saddle maker in Texas and has a lot of great leatherworking information on his YouTube Channel. He's good people.

Hope everyone's doing good!

Just checkin in, since this is our leather thread I thought I'd post it here.

Caught the very end of the leather show in Sheridan today. Going again in the morning. Picked up a few Wayne Jueschke (juhh shkee) stamps, they ain't cheap but they make a nice impression. Gonna hit Barry King's table tomorrow and
blow errr invest some more cash. A guy could go broke buying stamps quick but they are a valuable and necessary investment if you want to do things right in my opinion. I need to pick up a couple of bar grounders and a flower center and let the kids pick something out. Going to look for a couple of other odds and ends at the show and then see the leatherwork show. Found out there's a youth category that the kids can submit their work in the competition, they liked that idea and want to do it next year.

Was able to talk with Don Gonzales about knives and sheaths a good bit. He's a saddle maker in Texas and has a lot of great leatherworking information on his YouTube Channel. He's good people.

Hope everyone's doing good!
Sounds like a good time! Thanks for the update

Sounds like a good time! Thanks for the update
It's a great time but it's hard on the wallet even though I put money aside through the year specifically for the show.

Trying to keep the tumbleweeds out of the forum during this little hiatus! Thanks for posting man, hope you and yours are doing good!

How's that Cobra 26 looking?

Yeah Don has a lot of good info. We watch his videos often, him and Aaron from Maker's. I've been doing the flower carving on this outfit recently just having taken over from Nichole so she can focus more on her bags. I've never really used the bar backgrounders before. Nichole has four incrementally sized bar backgrounders (all Barry's), and I find I'm using all four on a project. My third sheath attempt. She's trying to teach an old dog new tricks:

zRjZYTP.jpg

I was pleased with this sheath. First few times I tried using a bar backgrounder there were words going around all over the place spelled like @$^$ and )&*^%* or &&^%$(!

Back