A Stitch in Time

just catching up with this thread, your new toy (sewing machine) pictures and leather work looks great John :thumbsup:

Thanks Frank, I'm trying to build up my skillset.

We'll have options eventually, as I get the hang of it we'll add colors and buckles. If you guys have ideas throw them out there. Does anyone like those roller buckles? I see a lot of those but I'm not a fan personally.

Let's start the build thread for the Newsletter Giveaway Belt in here, we can always move it into it's own thread down the road.

woke up today, checked my email and received a you won email :thumbsup: that finally wasn't email/phishing scam :cool:
Great GAW :thumbsup: I never win anything, can't wait to watch the custom belt build, thank you John
^That's a great post for so many reasons. Everything always seems to be some kind of trick or bait. (Oh by the way, shipping & handling for the belt is only 36 easy payments of $199.99!) šŸ˜†

First thing we gotta do is wipe clean the workbench so our leather stays clean. I like to use this all purpose cleaning solvent known as "cover that up with butcher paper...."
20210705_121131-01.jpeg

We'll have options eventually, as I get the hang of it we'll add colors and buckles. If you guys have ideas throw them out there. Does anyone like those roller buckles? I see a lot of those but I'm not a fan personally.

I have a roller buckle on my current belt but itā€™s because thatā€™s all Foxx Holsters offered.

I donā€™t mind them either way. As that Sheldon guy is fond of saying, ā€œreliability above allā€.

These will be my 5th and the belt. I am no expert whatsoever but will try to layout my process as best I can. Of the four I've made I've learned something with each one. I researched a ton of custom belt info on sizing and different formulas and didn't reinvent the wheel but came up with my own way that seems to work well.

This pic shows the layout of the buckle end. If this isn't skived down you wind up with a lot of leather in front of your pants that's thick and awkward.

A 36 grit belt on the grinder works great and let's you taper the ends and focus on thinning the bend where the buckle will be which is the mark towards the bottom of the photo. The top mark is where the end will fold back to so that gets thinned as well.
20210707_151859-01.jpeg

Do you guys want the gunslinger stitch pattern? If it's too "western" we can just do straight rows down the edge for a simpler look, up to you.

Thread color is the next question. Below is my boys belt, he picked an orange border with a light blue center stitch.
20210327_202736-01.jpeg

You can pick any kind of combo or single color you want to from the colors in this box.
20210619_204927-01.jpeg

Back