A "Stockman" by any other name.....

If you read many of my post, you know I am a big fan of the 4 1/4 inch Stockman pattern. I have noticed that almost all makers call them by a "house" name, such as "Cattle King" or "Jumbo" Stockman, but every now and then I see some reference books use the general term "Reverse Gunstock" for this pattern.

Is that technically more correct?

As far as I know, the reverse gunstock name refers to a a specific handle shape, not a size.
The Queen Cattle King is a large serpentine stockman. There were some gunstock stockmans produced recently in the Schatt & Morgan series.
Someone hopefully can post a pic or an URL to a pic.

airyq

Gold Member
I believe that littleknive is correct. A gunstock stockman is one where there is a bump on the blade side of the handle, usually from the middle of the handle to one bolster, the other handle being straight. A reverse gunstock is where the bump is on the side of the handle away from the blades. Or it could be the other way around. :eek:

I think another name for an XL stockman is "premium stockman".

Here's some pictures, first is the Queen "Cattle King"

queen_49csb.jpg

Schatt & Morgan "Gunstock"

schatt_corncobgunstock.jpg

Side by side, I can see the difference, the "hump" is more pronounced on the S&M.

I believe the Gunstock pattern was named after a design that looked like the stock of a long gun...with the master blade at the business end, where the barrel would be on the gun. The Reverse Gunstock is like the second one posted by TLC...master blade at the end resembling the stock. The Cattle King looks like a serpentine pattern to me.

Bill
EDITED: After Further Review, adding a picture of a Case Gunstock....and a Chris Bostwick modern version of a Gunstock.