A Story About Bacon

Mistwalker

Gold Member
The latest blog post is a story about bacon :)

http://fiddlebackforge.com/index.cfm/fiddleback-news-information/reality-is-relative/

20161211_153052_LLSfull.jpg

Great reading... and you've made my stomach growl! I'm on my way to pick some up now! Great write-up.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the read :)

Yeah--I will call this "your fault"... I picked up some pork belly yesterday, sliced it on the thick strip side, and cooked it up in a cast iron pan with garlic, onion, and a little bit of light soy sauce. And if I was wasn't covered in grease, because I was eating with my fingers practically right out of the pan, I would have snapped you a pic.

Clearly you are a bad influence. ;)

Yeah--I will call this "your fault"... I picked up some pork belly yesterday, sliced it on the thick strip side, and cooked it up in a cast iron pan with garlic, onion, and a little bit of light soy sauce. And if I was wasn't covered in grease, because I was eating with my fingers practically right out of the pan, I would have snapped you a pic.

Clearly you are a bad influence. ;)

It's okay, not the worst thing I've ever been blamed for :D

You could always make a pot of turnip or collard greens to go with it, top offset the unhealthy aspect. The pot liquor (broth) from the cooked greens is supposed to be one of the healthiest things to consume there is. :)

Good to know; I bought extra pork belly--sounds like a plan!
To me the smoked pork belly I slice myself, and so far Whole Foods has my favorite of any of the larger stores, has a much better flavor than the pre-sliced aired out stuff. Even when it's not smoked I like it better, but it's trickier on the slicing part.

Gotcha--I picked some up at Costco; it was 5-6 thick slabs. One is gone--more to come. They seemed pretty fresh w/ good color, but nothing like you would find at a smaller meat market. I was more accustom to that growing up.

I know what you mean. In my earliest days of childhood, I lived near my grandparents who had a farm. I was used to raising the meat we ate and knowing what it had eaten.

I know what you mean. In my earliest days of childhood, I lived near my grandparents who had a farm. I was used to raising the meat we ate and knowing what it had eaten.
Sounds wonderful! That's how my grandparents lived, back in the old country. My love for fresh meat/fish, veggies, and outdoor cooking is rooted in a deep nostalgia for them and thier ways. I do my best to keep that spirit alive for my kids, in the much more limited ways available to us. But I've found it's worth the effort.

Back