A Tale of Two Bowies: Tech Bowie and Recon Bowie Initial Review

I recently received two new SOG fixed blades, the Tech Bowie (Black TiNi) and Recon Bowie. The following is my initial review and unboxing thoughts about the two blades. I will post a much more thorough review with proper pictures once I get a chance to use the blades some more. Overall, I really like the two blades although there are a few sheath issues that need to be resolved. Here goes...

The overall fit and finish of the blades is very good. The TiNi coating is even, the handles are tight with no wobble on the pommel spanner, the primary grind on both blades is superb, and the edge grind is even and sharp from heel to tip.

verticalprofile_zps3bc3158b.jpg

The handles on both blades are identical in size but the blades are very different. The Recon Bowie is .4 inches longer and .2 oz heavier. The biggest difference however is in the overall balance. The Tech Bowie is balanced neutral under the first finger indentation on the grip and as a result the Tech Bowie feels very lively in the hand. I get the overall impression that the Tech Bowie is designed as a slasher when used as a fighting knife and it would also excel as a general use blade. The Recon Bowie, however, is very blade heavy and balances neutral almost all the way under the choil. As a result the Recon Bowie feels designed as a piercing/stabbing blade with a secondary chopping function.

This is even more apparent when you look at the primary grind of both blades. The Tech Bowie has a very obvious hollow grind on both the upper and lower grind whereas the Recon Bowie has a very subtle hollow grind that is almost a flat grind both on the top and the bottom. In addition, the tip on the Recon Bowie is very stout as the full thickness of the blade is carried almost all the way forward to the tip whereas the Recon Bowie begins a very aggressive taper almost half way along the length of the blade. While this gives the Tech Bowie that needle sharp tip that it is famous for, it also is much more fragile compared to the Recon Bowie. The Recon Bowie's tip is very strong and I would have no qualms using it to stab through hard materials (including body armor).

horizontalprofile_zps15fa9d29.jpg

I will include much more detailed pictures of the primary grind later so you can see how different these two knives are and how it affects their primary use. OK, now on to the negatives...

First, both blades came very dirty in box. I know it seems strange, but for the cost they really should come pristine in box. Its a shame really, because it leaves a bad first impression. The good thing is that once I cleaned off both blades and gave them a light coat of oil they were gorgeous and the beauty of the TiNi finish was readily apparent. Lastly, the leather sheath on the Recon Bowie was of poor quality. The upper two stitches on both sides were already frayed and pulled out of the leather and the paint on the snap was scratched. You can easily see the stitching issue in the following image:

sheathissues_zps4138b154.jpg

I will try to contact SOG customer service and see if i can exchange my sheath for a good one. On the bright side, the Kydex sheath for the Tech Bowie is great.

Thanks for reading! Full review to follow.

Last edited:
I contacted SOG customer service about the sheath issue with the Recon Bowie. I included some images and a link to this review. Hopefully, they will get back to me soon.

Nice post. I'm looking forward to the follow ups. As far as the SOG leather sheaths go. IMHO the problem is in the way they are assembled. You'd find that the leather sheath for the S2's and the Trident 2. would display similar problems.

Nice post. I'm looking forward to the follow ups. As far as the SOG leather sheaths go. IMHO the problem is in the way they are assembled. You'd find that the leather sheath for the S2's and the Trident 2. would display similar problems.

SOG got back to me via email. They said that sheaths aren't covered by their lifetime warranty but since my sheath came poorly assembled NIB they will send me a new once... but, they said they don't have any in stock so if I give them my contact info they will send me one when they come in. Hmm. I will follow up every week or so to see they follow through.

I'm a big fan of the Recon Bowie, I think it is the best looking knife made by SOG. I have one and it has had lots of use, with a few dabs of abuse.

Cheers,

Carl

I just wanted to do a quick update on the sheath issue. SOG warranty service did follow up and send me a new sheath for the Recon Bowie. The new sheath is much better as the stitching is not pulled out at the top edge of the sheath. I have been using both knives quite a bit and I really do like them both although I am really taken with the Recon Bowie. Its a great blade that I am not hesitant to really use. Don't get me wrong, I like the Tech Bowie too, I am just a bit wary of that delicate tip.

I'm glad to hear! Do you have any pictures of you using the knife/knives that you can share with us?

If I was to get one, it would be the Recon Bowie. Both are nice and I've had the pleasure of playing with the Tech before, but there's just something about the Recon Bowie that calls to me.

Back