A test of the Cutco Forever Warranty.

Howard Wallace

Five or so years ago I bought a Cutco paring knife with a ~2” blade at a second hand store for $1. The tip had been broken off by some type of abuse, but I easily reprofiled it and sharpened it up. It has served kitchen duty for some time, and has been one of my favorites for processing large quantities of apples or other fruits. It has a large ergonomic handle, and I don’t have to worry if the wife or kids throw it in the dishwasher.

This year I was driving through the countryside and picked up a large pumpkin from a local farmer. The day before Halloween I was carving it with my daughter. I plunged the Cutco paring knife into the pumpkin and started to make the first straight cut when the tang of the knife snapped at the first rivet, and the blade was left in the pumpkin. I had not torqued the knife. At first I was just going to toss it away, but then I thought that this would be a good chance to test the Cutco forever warranty that is used as one of the major selling points of these knives. I decided to run the test with no mention that I would later post the results on Bladeforums.

The Cutco forever warranty states

If at any time you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your CUTCO product, we will correct the problem or replace the product with the same item in the current style.

I went to the Cutco website and got the address for returns. I shipped the knife off to them around Nov 1 with a note telling what happened. On Nov 12 I received an email acknowledging that they had received my knife. On Nov 15 I received another e-mail stating that my service was complete and being shipped back to me. On Nov 16 I received a brand new replacement paring knife.

The knife I sent had a brown handle, and the new replacement had a white handle. I like the look of the brown better, and if I had a complete set the different handle color might be an issue for me. As it is, I am nothing but pleased with the service. The knife was replaced with no questions asked. It obviously had many years of use on it, and the tip had been reprofiled.

The results of this test indicate to me that Cutco does indeed stand behind their knives. I still would not buy their knives at the retail price, but I have to admit that the one I have has been a fine user, and was replaced immediately with no questions when a problem developed. I have to admit, I was a little surprised.

Hey Howard...

That's pretty decent...

I wonder though about the handle color...

Did you ask them about it ??
Tell them the rest of your set has brown handles,,and now the set doesn't match...
I wonder if it's their way of knowing that this knife has been replaced before ??

I once picked up a box of about 8-10 Craftsman and Snap On sockets that were split...
Had a mechanic friend of mine swap out the Snap On stuff at work,, and took the Craftsman sockets back to Sears...
I think the box cost me .50 cents, just the Snap On sockets came to over $100.00...

Sometimes it's worth paying attention to these kinds of things Eh..

ttyle

Eric....

Eric,

The handle on the knife I got at the second-hand store looked like this. The knife appears to be the #1720. [all the pictures I'm using come from the Cutco website at http://www.cutco.com ]

1720.jpg

The replacement knife was in this style.

1835.jpg

They are both current production models, so I don't think switching the handle color will help them determine if it has been replaced before. I'm not quite sure why they chose a different color. Maybe it depends on what they have in stock at the moment.

I didn't ask them about swapping the color. Their warranty seems to give them some latitude as to the replacement.

I used to sell for Cutco. While I disagree with many of their claims we were forced to repeat in the sales speel('we use the highest quality steel available'...ummm no they don't, it's 440A), they are really great products. Over priced, yeah they are. But really a good investment for a family in the long run.

On one of my first sales experiences, the customers had an old set (25 years old) that it looked like they had used for dry walling and construction. :eek: Cutco made good on that as well.

My favorite Cutco product is the utility scissors.

Anyways, good thread. Cutco is a great company.

I've got a set from 20 years ago, I sent them all back recently to be resharpened and they replaced them all with new knives (also the white handled version, which actually matches our kitchen better). All in all I am pretty happy with them. By the way, If I remember correctly Cutco is owned by Kabar or Kabar owns Cutco (I forget which). So atleast they are made by a well known manufacturer in the US.

When I opened the thread I got this pre conceived notion that it would turn out that Cutco would fall short. It sounds like you recieved much better treatment than I thought. Actually much better than Gerber!.
That's just my experience though

Rick

Back