A Tired Old Sheffield Jack With Swiss Heritage

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
I came across this old feller the other day, priced at around $3, in a shop that doesn’t usually stock knives, and despite his worn out state, I thought he deserved a better end than a junk shop trash can. This old knife has worked some long hours and seen some hard times I reckon, yet someone still cared about him enough to fix him up a bit when he was broken and keep on throwing him a few chores every now and again. I’ll warrant he was still scraping out some old gentleman’s pipe bowl right until the end.

When I got the old knife home and wiped off a bit of the pipe soot, I could see that it was made long ago by the Mulberry Cutlery Company, a mark used by the firm established by Lewis Barnascone. Having never previously heard of this cutler until I came across a Barnascone knife a few months ago, I found the story of the company an interesting and rather touching read.

The Barnascones were (Italian) Swiss Catholics, who apparently came to Sheffield in the early 19th century. According to Geoffrey Tweedale’s encyclopaedic ‘Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers’, citing an earlier work, the Barnascone business was founded by Lewis in 1820. After Lewis died in 1849, aged only in his late 40’s, his nephew Quirico Barnascone adopted the name Lewis himself, being joined in business by his uncle Henry Barnascone, and later by his three sons, John, Lewis, and Charles.

In 1877, Quirico ‘Lewis’ Barnascone died suddenly, aged 62, with his widow dying 10 years later, aged 52. The Barnascone sons continued to run the Sheffield company, but in 1906, Lewis relinquished his share in order to concentrate on running the Barnascone’s Paris branch, which sold bicycles and cars. He died in Paris in 1925, having reached the grand old age of 73.

Sadly, in 1909 Charles fell from the cliffs at the English seaside resort of Blackpool, and was drowned. He was aged 55. His brother John, continued to run the business until after WW1, but it didn’t survive the 1930’s depression.

While, like many folk of their day, some of the Barnascone’s died tragically young, they all have descendents living today, as I found out while researching my first Barnascone knife. They also sometimes pop up on knife forums! I’ve read posts elsewhere by several members of the Barnascone clan, including Quirico Barnascone’s Great Great Grandaughter and Henry’s Great Great Grandson.

The Barnascone tuxedo knife carries Lewis Barnascone’s name ('Lewis' over 'Barnascone' over 'Sheffield'), along with the firm’s attractive ‘grasshopper’ (actually a cicada apparently) mark. The Mulberry Cutlery Company takes its name from the Sheffield street where Quirico ‘Lewis’ Barnascone moved his business in 1880.

I may occasionally slip the slim MOP Balloon knife into my pocket, but I reckon the old Jack probably deserves a rest – unless I should happen to take up pipe-smoking of course!

It’s nice that like Lewis Barnascone’s descendents, these old knives are still around to help mark the life of an old Swiss cutler, who once journeyed to Sheffield.

Jack

I've been up since 6.00am and it's after midnight here, so this tired old Jack is off to bed too! ;)

Very interesting and informative post, Jack! Thanks for the effort you put into researching and writing. Sweet dreams; I trust you'll be almost good as new by morning, which is more than can be said for Mulberry Jack, I fear!

-GT

That's a great history lesson and nice pics of an old much loved knife. Nice!

I really like to see those old blades rescued......

Wonderful read Jack, and brilliantly researched and presented. Two great pieces of history there - congrats on the finds! :thumbup:

Always a treat to read your posts and see your finds, Jack. A great read indeed and a karmic warranting save. The Barnascone’s are smiling on you!! Well done, sir and may grasshoppers and cicadas guide you in your dreams to great revelations.

Nice old knives with great research and history. It appears that the Barnascone (Bernasconi) family hailed from Mendrisio Switzerland at the Southern most tip bordering on Northern Italy. Of the more than one dozen well know cutlery towns in Switzerland, all fall in the North, West, and central parts of the country with nothing in the South region. While Switzerland has a deep and rich history of cutlery, perhaps Sheffield and not Switzerland was the beginning of the knife trade for the Barnascones?

Many thanks for the kind comments fellers, I'm afraid I can't take credit for the research, just a question of opening a book or two and searching on the internet.

Good to see you here Herder, and thanks for that. During this period, people came to Sheffield from all over Europe and beyond, to learn about the iron and steel trades, or just to work in them. According to census records, the Barnascones seem to be very unusual in that they were Swiss. However, many people who went to Sheffield, particularly young men, would have been missed by the census records, either because they were itinerant, illiterate, suspicious, evasive, unsuccessful short-term immigrants, or simply made some money and went back to their native countries in between census. In contrast, the Barnascones left their mark, and so we know quite a bit about them. While we know that the original Lewis Barnascone listed his profession as optician, cutler, and hardware man in 1833, reading the family history gives the impression, that they were essentially traders rather than knife-makers. How much involvement the Barnascones actually had in the design and manufacture of their knives, apart from commissioning them, is unclear.

Similarly, though far less successful, was one of my own ancestors, James Walker Walch, who I was surprised to find listed in Geoffrey Tweedale's book. Mr Walker Walch was my maternal grandmother's paternal grandfather, but while he is listed as having a short-lived cutlery business, I'm not sure it was ever more than a shop. However, I know less about this Great Great Grandfather than I now know about the Barnascones!

Hopefully, if we're lucky, one of the Barnascones will be along at some point to add to this thread :)

Jack

Jack- I keep saying- but incredible reading my friend. The old Jack looks good- what a great knife it must of been in its prime- I think this ok' knife deserves to be carried just now and then.
Wonderful reading Jack.

Thanks a lot Duncan, I wish I hadn't already sealed that parcel now! :D :thumbup:

Very interesting background on a worthy find, especially for a couple of quid!

The knife looks like it might've gone through two lifetimes, really worn down - but with long careful use, that in itself is impressive. It could make a nice display now that it's retired, or at least on very light duties.

Thanks, Will

That manufacturer logo (cicada?) is real cool. Thanks for sharing this tired old beauty!

Back