A topic I've not seen. Crk for hunting?

These days I mainly use a Nyala drop point, but I've probably dressed out more deer with a large Sebenza than with any other tool. Works great, including splitting the sternum--that hollow grind opens the chest up like a zipper! I did nick something once or twice that I would have rather avoided, but the plus side is the convenience factor of carrying a folder over a fixed blade. Deer fat does tend to get into the pivot and really gunks up the action so I've found a takedown is usually necessary after using the Sebenza for field dressing. I imagine a Small, while totally adequate, would be more likely to get gunked up than a Large and for me personally, I'd find the blade to short and the handle to small, especially working in the cold,dark,rain, etc. The Nyala is a great all around knife, but it really comes into it's own dressing out and skinning deer.

I have both large and small sebenza's, and have tossed around using them for white tail field dressing and skinning. Sure they'd work, but are they the best? Personally, I don't think so. Honestly, it comes down to the sternum, and pivots. Those are the two things that if you don't need to use a sebenza for, then don't.

Getting through the sternum takes some strength. I'm confident the sebenza could do it, but i like a little thicker blade that i can really yank on. And to the point of fat building up... that's another reason of "if you don't have to, then why"... My fixed blade gets fat stuck on it, and i simply use warm water to ge the loose stuff off, then hit it with a little WD-40 and the rest easily wipes off.

I've used an ESEE 3 for many years for hunting. I would like to add a CRK fixed blade to my rotation to use on white tail, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If we're talking hunting, let's at least see some pictures! Here's my deer from this year.

QB446WO.jpg

It’s very interesting to see different philosophies of deer knives and varying methods of meat care. Last September I was a good way down a canyon (ended up being a 10.1 mile day according to my phone) when I harvested an elk.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4lQVowk

First picture is the only knife used (puny 3” Benchmade Altitude), the last picture is one of four skinned and bagged quarters ready for packout.

My Sebenza was in the pocket but not needed as somehow all that skinning and quartering didn’t much dull the S90V Altitude.

But no, I didn’t cut the sternum or any other bones.

Great thread. I’ve got these on my desk and all have been desk queens in the short time I’ve had them. I’m hunting deer tomorrow and thinking of taking one of the 31s or the Inkosi based on the posts above. But I’ve also got a BM Presidio II that has a partially serrated blade that would be great on the sternum - but I imagine taking apart the BM for cleaning would be a bit of a pain in the arse.

To date I’ve used only fixed blades, and I’ve got quite a few new fixed blade desk queens….
E008F841-0E22-405B-A261-3C835E1D5F3C.jpeg

Nyala is what I always imagined to be perfect for a hunting knife. Don’t understand why they were discontinued

Reactions: TC
Nyala is what I always imagined to be perfect for a hunting knife. Don’t understand why they were discontinued
Beautiful and comfortable knives, unfortunately the blade stock is a bit thick to be ideal and a kydex sheath option would have been nice.

I have used my regular small Sebenza, EDC since new in '07, to skin and quarter many whitetail deer and it does fine. Afterwards it gets a quick bath and every so often get taken apart, cleaned and lubed. I have also used a Case 3 blade stockman on whitetail deer. Just depends on what I have with me when I get ready to skin them. I have plenty of fixed blade skinners, but don't always have them with me.

Anyone have any pictures of the sebenza in action on a whitetail? I actually prefer my CS Ultimate Hunter and my GEC23 for skinning and quartering. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use my 21 this year. I've used one of my GEC 23s for the last few years. The pics were from 2020. Hints the ridiculous Grizzly beard. And the 2020 Autumn bone 23.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 30
Great thread. I’ve got these on my desk and all have been desk queens in the short time I’ve had them. I’m hunting deer tomorrow and thinking of taking one of the 31s or the Inkosi based on the posts above. But I’ve also got a BM Presidio II that has a partially serrated blade that would be great on the sternum - but I imagine taking apart the BM for cleaning would be a bit of a pain in the arse.

To date I’ve used only fixed blades, and I’ve got quite a few new fixed blade desk queens….
View attachment 1638511

Did you end up using one last year?

Back