A Traditional Knife With A Related Traditional Item

Jsega51

Gold Member
I stopped at an antique shop yesterday on my way to lunch as there wasn’t much else to do with a negative wind chill. I came across this section of a Marsh Gauge Pole, from Titusville, PA.

I didn’t know exactly what it was but a quick search revealed the poles were roughly 12 ft. long and made from hard maple. They were used to measure the depth inside railroad oil tank cars, mostly in the early half of the 1900’s. Not sure why they didn’t cut it right but it’s a little short on that 1st inch lol.

I thought it was a pretty cool antique item to pair with the knives made in Titusville and it wasn't expensive at all. I searched online and found this ad from an oil business newsletter/pamphlet.

Feel free to share other knives and antique type items that came from the same area.

1mPBprD.jpg

Muql9l5.jpg

Last edited:
Except for the Bavarian 5 mark piece, the items shown aren't old, they are traditional though. The knife is a Giesen & Forsthoff from Solingen and in the little tube is Bavarian mustache "Wichse", which I don't know how to translste. It's not a wax but rather a glue-like paste that stiffens quickly, but can easily be washed out. It's traditional for Central Europe, Hungarians supposedly were the first to come up with it.

nnvB8Y2.jpg

At least a few are getting the “related items” lol. I’m enjoying all the pics! I grew up looking at antique shops with my grandparents and while I’m not crazy about it, every now and then I find something neat.

Back