A Tribute to Paul Lentz

It is with great sadness that I inform you that Paul Lentz passed away today. Paul was the Vice President of the BCCI, a member of the club from the early beginning. To me, he was more than a friend. He was like a father. I loved him like a father. I can't begin to tell you how much I will miss him.

Paul loved Buck knives. He was a promoter and ambassador for Buck knives. His enthusiasm for our club was contagious. A natural born leader, Paul helped guide the club for many years. His was always the voice of reason. There will be a void at club meetings and knife shows that will never be filled. Paul's heart was bigger than he was. Always a kind word or deed. At this past Blade Show, he gave all members attending the annual meeting a Buck license plate that he had made. This was typical of Paul. He was always doing something nice for someone.

I will miss you Paul. It is comforting to know that you are at the Lord's side.

Sad news indeed, Paul will missed, in the short time I knew him I learned what a caring, giving man and so knowledged about Buck Knives and he was willing to share with every one. Our deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

This is very sad, I had never gotten to know him, but had spoken with him on the phone re: BCC stuff. My condolences to his family.

I am still in shock from John's call yesterday giving me the sad news. I must say that Paul Lentz was considered by all of us who are active in BCC activities to be the finest gentleman involved. He treated newcomers with great kindness and made us feel welcome to the club. His desire to promote the collecting of Buck knives was tremendous and all who knew Paul had no doubt that he liked people with the same enthusiasm he showed for his tremendous Buck knife collection.
Our club has lost a leader and a most respected voice in the knife collecting community. More than that, we have lost a dear friend. He just called me last week about a transaction in which he had assisted and now I can hardly believe that I will not hear his voice again. Paul, I will miss you greatly. I am a better person because I knew you and was affected by your gentle spirit and gracious ways.
All of us are reminded again as to how much life is like a vapor. Are we living for ourselves or for the One who created us?

I have been walking around in a daze since hearing the news. I had the privelege of knowing Paul for a few years now. He always astonished me with his generous spirit. As many of us know, he would, and often did, give the shirt off his back. It seems like every year he would have special BCC shirts made up, or liscense plates, or mints, ect, that he would give out.
I can't get comfortable with the idea that i will not be able to talk with him at the next show. He will be missed by the many people he touched over the years.

ON JULY 12, 2001, I LOST OTHER THAN MY HUSBAND, MY BEST FRIEND. PAUL LENTZ WAS SUCH A WONDERFUL, KIND AND CONSIDERATE MAN. I ALWAYS TOLD PAUL THAT WHEN JOHN GOT TIRED OF ME, I WAS GOING TO MARRY HIM! I CAN STILL HEAR HIS JOLLY LAUGH FROM THAT REMARK. PAUL WAS LIKE A FATHER TO JOHN. I HAVE A FAMILY PICTURE THAT IS VERY COMPLETE, ALONG WITH THE SIX OF US, PAUL LENTZ IS IN IT.

I CAN'T EXPRESS THE SORROW AND SADNESS THAT I FEEL. I FEEL LIKE I'VE LOST A FAMILY MEMBER. I WILL NEVER FORGET PAUL AS LONG AS I LIVE, AMD I WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT AN IMPACT HE MADE ON OUR LIVES. I WILL MISS HIM SO MUCH.

I LOVE YOU PAUL AND WILL DESPERATELYY MISS YOU. I KNOW YOU ARE AT GOD'S SIDE.

JOHN'S WIFE, GEORGIA

Both Mary and I offer our condolences to the family and friends of Paul. We didn't know him well but the dealings we had with him were always first class on his part.

Paul is up there right now trading and talking knives with Hoyt and Al. Let's all be glad for him.

Condolences to the family.

The Lord looks after all, especially the family he leaves behind.

I can’t begin to tell you how much it troubles me to lose Paul as a friend and fellow Buck collector. I was not prepared to see this happen. Knowing that I can’t call him and won’t see him at the next show is just too much to think about right now. I hope (and believe) he knew just how much so many of us loved him.

I first met Paul and many of the club members at the 10th anniversary BCC meeting at the factory in ’98. From the first moment you met Paul, you couldn’t help but like him. He strongly encouraged me to display and offered suggestions. He shared unselfishly of himself. I was one of those recipients of “the shirt off his back” (Buck Collector’s Logo embroidered) referenced above. I did reimburse him, and he even ordered me several more. I loved those shirts he had made for the club members. He has done nothing but wonderful things for me, my family and fellow collectors. I tried to support him as I know many of you did. I am pleased to have several mementos that remind me of him. But never enough. His smile and laugh would fill a room.

I watched him inspire others to begin collecting and then help them acquire pieces using his endless resources. I even once spotted a knife I knew he didn’t have and passed along the information knowing he’d end up with yet another Yellowhorse. That made me feel good. I wish I could have done more for him. He never asked for anything except your club support. He challenged me to recruit more club members. I did try and thought I truly had a chance to win that elusive 904 Sub-Hilt Bowie. Well, once again I had underestimated Paul’s resources. No one deserved that and so much, much more, than Paul.

I have Paul, among others, to thank for having more knives than I ever knew I wanted. HA! I have to laugh. If you really knew Paul you’d know how he was about ordering you knives. He once sent me someone’s order by accident. There were quite a few knives in there that I knew… that I hadn’t ordered. I tried to explain that I really didn’t need all those red, yellow and blue balloons (knives). But, by the time we were done talking about Buck’s Harley Davidson knives, and Yellowhorse knives, and “The River Runs Through It” knives, and Apple Blossom knives etc, etc … Vickie was writing another big check. HA! HA!

I wish I had had a little more time with Paul here on earth. I should have met him earlier. Isn’t that selfish of me because I, like my friend Georgia, know that he is with the Father in a much better place.

I know God has blessed you Paul with a glorious place in his kingdom (i.e. that would probably be in the “Silver Cloud” knife store sorting out the Bucks).

You will always be missed and loved. I will continue to carry my memories of you in all that I encounter until we meet again.

OBITUARY:
Mr. Paul Lentz
CONCORD - Paul Octavius Lentz, 66, of 1945 Gold Hill Rd.,
Concord, died Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at his home.
The funeral will be at noon Monday at Hartsell Funeral Home in
Concord Chapel. Burial will follow at the St. James Catholic
Church Cemetery. The Deacon Dan Carl will officiate.
The family will receive friends tonight from 6 to 8 p.m. at
Hartsell Funeral Home. A rosary service will be conducted at 8
p.m. Sunday at Hartsell Funeral Home.
(Ref. Independent Times, Concord, NC 7/15/2001)

Ps. If you’re thinking about joining the knife club (or most knife clubs from what I’ve seen), don’t wait. There are many wonderful people in the Buck Collectors club and I wouldn’t trade the experience of participating for anything. If you didn’t know Paul, you really missed something special.

Sincerely,
Ken W. Burns Sr. (kwbsr)
BCCI Life Member #819
NKCA Member

Paul was a gentle giant. That deep rumbling bass laughter, easy smile and friendly arm over your shoulder will be missed.

I just never knew what I was going to come home from a show with. Cheese, mints, mugs, shirts, license plates, pins, carvings etc. He was a truly creative and generous man.

We have decided to honor Paul in this next year's centennial catalog. We are starting to brainstorm how.

I am still chuckling about that mental picture of Hoyt and Al asking history questions about their own knives from Paul...so Paul...when did you say I made this...

Back