A unexpected Surprise

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Recently purchased a Endura on the bay. I got started searching for and buying a few early examples of Spyderco knives here on this forum. Thank you for opening my eyes.
The Endura was my 2nd purchase and though advertised as a factory 2nd and having a broken tip i figured for $40 $34 before tax and shipping l took the chance. So glad i did. I have several new more expensive Spyde knives but really love this knife. It just won’t jump out of my pocket.
I really never saw this coming and can’t explain why i have this emotion?
Para3,Manix2,Yojimbo,Sliverax, even my Delaca have all been benched. They will be back but till then Endura is 1st string.
Anyone else have this happen? Or am i the only one?

Send it to Spyderco for a regrind.

You'll lose some length compensating for the broken tip (which I assume isn't too large) but you'll like the knife better as a result. Sent one of my Enduras back for this "spa" treatment and was very happy w/the result.

BTW, FWIW, I purchased my 1st Endura back in the 90's and, if I didn't become a knife geek, it would be one of the few knives that I would have ever needed to buy apart from my Buck 110 and a few Swiss Army Explorers (which I still also own).

Last edited:
The E4 was like that for me when I first got one as well. Something about the knife just clicked, I carried it exclusively for a long time.

upload_2020-10-12_15-27-37.jpeg
it’s only 2mm short and i reprofiled the reprofile which included some light file work a little stone work and a strop.

It's very hard to beat the FRN offerings from Spyderco, particularly the Delica and Endura. They both give you damn near everything you need and just about nothing you don't. I haven't gotten my hands on an Endela yet, but I suspect I would find it does much the same.

Crap, now I want to buy an Endela.

The knife honestly looks like it was never used. The handle doesn’t have a single mark or scratch or any wear at all. The blade has what looks like a tiny saw mark for a better description that i can only describe as the start of the fist cut if you were jimping the back of the blade where its jimped on the newer Enduras. Could be the reason it was a 2nd?

I
The knife honestly looks like it was never used. The handle doesn’t have a single mark or scratch or any wear at all. The blade has what looks like a tiny saw mark for a better description that i can only describe as the start of the fist cut if you were jimping the back of the blade where its jimped on the newer Enduras. Could be the reason it was a 2nd?
I believe that is how Spyderco marks their seconds. The broken tip is likely why it is marked as such.

I think the E4 is the only knife I've bought, sold, and bought again...and I've done that a bunch of times. Just can't get past it (in a good way!)

Reactions: 353
Love the E4, thought it was gonna be a meh since I like the Delica so much. But now I'm confused on wich one I like the most! :confused:

A9pEhOr.jpg

That cut is the mark that identifies a second. Sometimes they get knives returned as defective due to damage like a broken tip and resell them as seconds (they usually have a different color tag at the sale) or it could have been something else. I have a number of seconds that I have studied for years without figuring out what the defect was suposed to be.

Back