Photos A Walk in Nature

Keep those sticks a comin'
These are what I have collected the past couple of weeks (L-R: beech, unknown, pine):
TbeEF1F.jpeg

love that Sycamore
I like it. These 2 I think are going to be keepers:
veDtL5p.jpeg

I broke my saw in the process of cutting the beech stick:
Too bad about the saw Tom.
Nice that you modded it and is working just as well !

hankfully, without a glimpse, sound or smell of Sasquatch anywhere throughout the entire day.
LOL James :) That does not mean that you were not been watched all along, sometimes is just a matter of time 😧
A wonderful walk with your faithfull Izula and SAK :thumbsup: :cool:

I would have welcomed a hint or more of a Sasquatch redsparrow redsparrow ;) But then I've been abducted by aliens already. Heck I even travelled with CelloDan CelloDan in the wilds of the Rideau Canal for a week. What is there to fear? All new friends. :)

Nice walk about, notwithstanding the lack of "other normal" contact. :cool:
I am not sure if at that time I was more afraid of Sasquatches or of going on a 7 day adventure on a small open boat with a stranger I had never met whom I contacted on some knife forum on the interwebs 😁
Just kidding of course, we both knew it was going to be a great trip :thumbsup::cool:

I like it. These 2 I think are going to be keepers:
Are you also keeping the sword looking thing at the back Tom :)

---------------------------------

Well folks, I am no longer afraid of Sasquatches :cool:

I handled my own outdoor knife and I am loving it 😍
A3gVyGS.jpg

ZH6Lkxe.jpg

goV2QNU.jpg

n3tSZrc.jpg

n7dooI9.jpg

7DB9rwB.jpg

UFWIPjy.jpg

b0kDyEQ.jpg

Holy Smoke my Brother you did a great one. 🥳 It's a beauty. I love your choice of materials and the finished shape.
6" blade? Did you make the sheath too?

Gracias Ray 😊

It’s a 5 1/4 inch blade, the handle turned out to be 4.5 inches.

The colours I chose after the Ukrainian 🇺🇦 flag where a small family busines makes these knives.

The sheath was made by maxipescie maxipescie for my beloved Verijero he made for me.

It also fits this new knife perfectly 👍😎
1I3J6Hw.jpeg

t8riHSP.jpeg

Last edited:
LOL James :) That does not mean that you were not been watched all along, sometimes is just a matter of time 😧

n3tSZrc.jpg

Thanks Dan. I enjoyed the walk

n3tSZrc.jpg
Thanks, Dan, it was an enjoyable walk.
You may be right about being watched. I didn't see any sign of turkeys either.
Nice job on the outdoor knife.

Are you also keeping the sword looking thing at the back Tom :)
The sword is my great-grandfather’s Marine Medical Service dress sword, from when he was stationed in the Philippines, I believe. It had been rotting away in a closet at my parent’s house since as long as I can remember. I’m actually not planning to keep it - I hope to eventually give it to my nephew, who just recently got a dress sword of his own.

I just finished my rehandle project number two :)
Blade blank is from BPS of Ukraine, the same as project number one.
This second one I reprofiled and thinned it out from the original scandi to flat ground.

Now is time to go out for a walk in nature with my new blade ... tomorrow :thumbsup: ... I promise ☺️ ( I just had to share this today :))
Ati7EHL.jpg

J29SWYp.jpg

V7vVNzM.jpg

HTpMNyX.jpg

kn32iXu.jpg

I just finished my rehandle project number two :)
Blade blank is from BPS of Ukraine, the same as project number one.
This second one I reprofiled and thinned it out from the original scandi to flat ground.

Now is time to go out for a walk in nature with my new blade ... tomorrow :thumbsup: ... I promise ☺️ ( I just had to share this today :))
Ati7EHL.jpg

J29SWYp.jpg

V7vVNzM.jpg

HTpMNyX.jpg

kn32iXu.jpg
Looks great, Dan!

gjD4fB4.jpeg

If I leave from home and walk around this lake, it’s about a nine mile round trip. Today I didn’t have 3 hours to invest, so I just drove to the park. My new saw made short work of a fallen limb, giving me a nice stick to walk around the lake with. I took detours around some outdoor- and history-education camps in the area:
aRrfQkU.jpeg

Back near the car, I found a nice beech branch that had been snapped off by a falling tree, so I guess I wound up with two new sticks today… (sorry no pictures)

I broke my saw in the process of cutting the beech stick:
aQ7vkFx.jpeg

No problem, though. I had been considering shortening the handle anyway:
HJ9Mmn9.jpeg

XBolFH5.jpeg

Even shortened, it cuts way better than the saw on an SAK. I just have to be careful since it is so thin.

I made a detour to the hardware store on the way home from the park. Chair leg protectors seem to work well as walking stick tips:
hiAPhyQ.jpeg
I use the same rubber tips they work well

Very nice Dan. You will soon have too many knives ;) You can have dedicated boat knives. How are you fitting the wood handles?
That's the most tedious aspect for me. Good job on the grind. To me FG is way better than scandi but I have no capacity
to make such a mod without ruining the blade.

Looks great, Dan!
Gracias Vince !

Very nice Dan. You will soon have too many knives ;) You can have dedicated boat knives. How are you fitting the wood handles?
That's the most tedious aspect for me. Good job on the grind. To me FG is way better than scandi but I have no capacity
to make such a mod without ruining the blade.
Thanks Ray !
Too many knives 🤔😄😎

I used epoxy to attach the handle. I have some West System epoxy left from boat repairs.
I coat the inside, tang with it, then mix some sawdust in the rest and coat tang and the hole with it to provide gap filling.
Super strong stuff 👍

I also scored the tang with a few grooves cut with a grinder to provide an anchor for the epoxy.

The tang is hardened on these blanks so I didn’t attempt to drill and pin it as I don’t have the tools to drill hardened steel

Holy Smoke my Brother you did a great one. 🥳 It's a beauty. I love your choice of materials and the finished shape.
6" blade? Did you make the sheath too?
I completely agree with your assessment of this piece, Ray. Our friend CelloDan CelloDan really knocked it out of the park 😍😍. Expect big news about this knife a little bit later.

Also, it is very sharp. Ask me how I know…

I completely agree with your assessment of this piece, Ray. Our friend CelloDan CelloDan really knocked it out of the park 😍😍. Expect big news about this knife a little bit later.

Dan contacted me asking for my address, so I assumed I was in for a nice surprise. I knew he had been working on some beautiful re-handle jobs, and I was terrified it might be related - how could I adequately reciprocate, when my own handiwork is so amateurish? When this large-fixed-blade-sized box showed up on my porch, my suspicions were reinforced:
76Qat8Y.jpeg

When I opened it, I was totally blown away by the contents:
3MUHcte.jpeg

The knife is on the fence, but I’m not at all on the fence about how I feel about it!:
YBjvRE9.jpeg

The Buck went straight in the pocket for my daily visit to my folks at the nursing home. I have a bunch of projects just waiting for the fixed-blade, not to mention the upcoming season’s camping and boating seasons. I know I’m not telling you guys anything you don’t already know, but Dan CelloDan CelloDan is a really amazing and generous friend :):thumbsup:

Last edited:
What a beautiful picture !
A beautiful boardwalk evening walk !

How do you know Tom ? 😇

Geez - I'm a bit jealous ;) Now you have a boater's boaty knife for your adventures. :cool:
It is more like a bushcraft sort of knife however I've heard that catfish on the Potomac are quite the challenge to process and a big knife is recommended😀

The knife is on the fence, but I’m not at all on the fence about how I feel about it!:
I am just so thrilled that you enjoy the knife Tom !!!
Gracias amigo !

Back