Photos A Walk in Nature

Spectacular nature and knives shots 👍 … and the FOOD 😋 😎
Many thanks! We weren't sure if there would be any fire bans in effect, so I had to prepare for meals that could be made on the camp stove, that could also be simple and convenient for camping. That's when I came up with that idea for an easy beef stew. I just used a few packages of the pre-cooked beef tips that you can find in the meat section of the grocery store, added some beef stock, broccoli for some vegetable nutrients, and finally a package of pre-cooked frozen wild rice mix. Not gourmet by any means but it actually came out pretty good, much better than canned, and was especially satiating after our 10-11 mile hike that day.

As you can see we were in the end allowed to have fire (got in just before a ban actually), so I was able to do the forearm workout that is campfire popcorn. There's a satisfaction from the process though that makes it taste better out there, and the leftover pairs oddly well with the next mornings coffee by the fire.

And the figs... Oh, man, don't get me started. To say I have a bit of an obsession with them in the summertime would be an understatement. I've never been a fan of dried figs, but fresh ones in season are a delight to behold. Pairs so well with my wee after dinner dram of whisky 😋

Home safe and sound :)

On Friday my Dad and I did 17 km from Kingston to Upper Brewers lock.

It was windy and in the "wrong way". Predominant winds are from the SW (this was NE), that's why the recommended direction for small vessels is to go from Kingston towards Ottawa.

The motor acted up a little and we thought a fuel line may be causing it as it seemed to go away after a while.

I then continued alone

On Saturday I did 40 km. I was 9 hours aboard Esperanza but a good portion of it was spent going trough locks and fishing at a couple spots.

As I am arriving at Newboro the motor starts loosing power and getting noisier.
I checked the oil and sure enough the dipstick is not getting a reading.

My heart sank and I was mad at my own negligence for not doing something so basic which I had been meaning to do but somehow or another did no do.

The lockmaster gave me some hope that someone at a small marina nearby may be able to help me.
The forecast was for 100 % rain starting that night and all Sunday. On top of that my wife was in Toronto and could not come pick me up so I was sort of stuck.

It rained that night. Early the next morning I was able to get some oil from the marina attendant.
The motor was back, stronger and smoother than ever ( and much quieter too lol )

So off I went :thumbsup:. The day was grey, cool 15 C, and very windy, still in the WRONG direction but luckily no rain.
I wanted to go long again all the way to Poonamalie but after 3 hours I could not take the beating for another 3 more so I veered right and went to camp at Colonel By island

0eUQFxk.png

It was incredible to see how different things were on the other side of the island in more protected waters ... there was barely a breeze.

I had a good time, relaxed, fish, cooked fish, ate fish LOL
8J1XKFn.jpg

Knife content LOL
(also, it does look like a lot of fish but I had not eaten since breakfast and that's all I ate ... with some pickles, very slowly, washed down with yerba mate of course LOL

yUJayqw.jpg

Very finely ground Panko did the trick :)

So this morning the sky is blue, the air fresh and I am ready :thumbsup: to go all day for as long as I can hold up.

As I leave the protection of the island is more of the same ... except that the sky is blue.

I took another 3 hours dose of that.
I did find some refuge to eat, fill up the tank and rest a bit on the lee side of a small island.

Finally I entered protected waters in the final stretch as you leave the big lakes and the waterway narrows to the size of a small river.

2 km from the lock I was navigating to the side of the main channel when the propeller hit a rock and broke the sheer pin o_O
I got the oars out and pulled up to the dock of a cottage nearby.
I was not able to take out the broken pin to replace it so the last 2 km were done rowing and looking backwards :p.

RRtWDvN.jpg

My wife picked me up an hour and a half later :)

My GPS read a total distance of 102 km for the whole trip ( 100 under engine power + 2 km under muscle power :D )

yj4abS3.jpg

I think I could benefit from a bigger boat ... something like this .. right ? :p

eb8UYhZ.jpg

Esperanza 1.0 in the foreground and 2.0 in the background :cool:

9IUXeWm.jpg

Last edited:

It was windy and in the "wrong way". Predominant winds are from the SW (this was NE), that's why the recommended direction for small vessels is to go from Kingston towards Ottawa.

The motor acted up a little and we thought a fuel line may be causing it as it seemed to go away after a while.

I then continued alone

On Saturday I did 40 km. I was 9 hours aboard Esperanza but a good portion of it was spent going trough locks and fishing at a couple spots.

My heart sank and I was mad at my own negligence for not doing something so basic which I had been meaning to do but somehow or another did no do.

The lockmaster gave me some hope that someone at a small marina nearby may be able to help me.
The forecast was for 100 % rain starting that night and all Sunday. On top of that my wife was in Toronto and could not come pick me up so I was sort of stuck.

It rained that night. Early the next morning I was able to get some oil from the marina attendant.
The motor was back, stronger and smoother than ever ( and much quieter too lol )

So off I went :thumbsup:. The day was grey, cool 15 C, and very windy, still in the WRONG direction but luckily no rain.
I wanted to go long again all the way to Poonamalie but after 3 hours I could not take the beating for another 3 more so I veered left and went to camp at Colonel By island

0eUQFxk.png

It was incredible to see how different things were on the other side of the island in more protected waters ... there was barely a breeze.

8J1XKFn.jpg

Knife content LOL
(also, it does look like a lot of fish but I had not eaten since breakfast and that's all I ate ... with some pickles, very slowly, washed down with yerba mate of course LOL

yUJayqw.jpg

So this morning the sky is blue, the air fresh and I am ready :thumbsup: to go all day for as long as I can hold up.

As I leave the protection of the island is more of the same ... except that the sky is blue.

I did find some refuge to eat, fill up the tank and rest a bit on the lee side of a small island.

Finally I entered protected waters in the final stretch as you leave the big lakes and the waterway narrows to the size of a small river.

2 km from the lock I was navigating to the side of the main channel when the propeller hit a rock and broke the sheer pin o_O
I was not able to take out the broken pin to replace it so the last 2 km were done rowing and looking backwards :p.

RRtWDvN.jpg

My GPS read a total distance of 102 km for the whole trip ( 100 under engine power + 2 km under muscle power :D )

yj4abS3.jpg

I think I could benefit from a bigger boat ... something like this .. right ? :p

eb8UYhZ.jpg

9IUXeWm.jpg
Now that’s an adventure Dan! 😎👍

Sounds like quite an adventure! I bet it will sound like even more of an adventure by the time you get to tell about it to any future grandchildren :D.

Glad you made it home safe and sound!

I then continued alone

I wanted to go long again all the way to Poonamalie but after 3 hours I could not take the beating for another 3 more so I veered left and went to camp at Colonel By island

0eUQFxk.png

8J1XKFn.jpg

Knife content LOL

yUJayqw.jpg

RRtWDvN.jpg

yj4abS3.jpg

eb8UYhZ.jpg

9IUXeWm.jpg

"Esperanza 1.0 in the foreground and 2.0 in the background."

You speak of the The Kawartha Voyageur or that butt ugly misshapen piping bag looking thing? :confused: Oh dear, you wouldn't have any stories to share riding around in that thing.

Sounds like you mostly had a great trip with a few potential disasters avoided. Glad to be home though right. Esperanza always keen for your next expedition. Thanks so much fo sharing. Has been a fun vicarious boating summer with you.

Now that’s an adventure Dan! 😎👍
Gracias Todd :)
If you had a boat like that, you'd never dock and never stop.
On second thought, I think that will get boring rather quick.
I do dream though of building a mini shanty boat to cruise the Rideau to be able to stay longer, anchor at a little bay and sleep in the boat etc
I even have the plans for one that several people have built themselves. I would need help from a construction carpenter as I don't' have the skill for it ( or the funds right now ) ... but that's the dream :)

Sounds like quite an adventure! I bet it will sound like even more of an adventure by the time you get to tell about it to any future grandchildren :D.

Glad you made it home safe and sound!
Gracias Tom :)
I'll make sure to spice up the adventure a bit for my future grandchildren :cool:
"Esperanza 1.0 in the foreground and 2.0 in the background."

You speak of the The Kawartha Voyageur or that butt ugly misshapen piping bag looking thing? :confused: Oh dear, you wouldn't have any stories to share riding around in that thing.

Sounds like you mostly had a great trip with a few potential disasters avoided. Glad to be home though right. Esperanza always keen for your next expedition. Thanks so much fo sharing. Has been a fun vicarious boating summer with you.
Right on my friend:thumbsup::)
I was joking about the big Kawartha boat but neither boat would ever do for me even if won the big lotto.
I am a minimalist and do enjoy the simplicity of my little adventures way more.
As I was telling John, perhaps one day I can build a little "mini shanty boat out of home depot lumber. fiberglass, epoxy etc so I can sleep inside and go for a little longer.

I was talking to a boat owner and mentioned that with about 6 liters of gas I can do 100 km and he laugh out loud, said that 6 liters would only warm up his engines. He had two big engines and two tanks of 75 gallons each. I think he said that with both tanks full he has a range of only 150 km ... wow
He did not want to tell me how much $ to fill both tanks LOL

I am on my way to drop my GOOD OLD FAITHFULL little 2hp Honda outboard to the mechanic for the WORKS :)
It deserves it ... I love that little piece of metal :)

Lj6y6lh.jpg

Kind of smokey out again today, so instead of looking for views we went lake and waterfall hunting. Come along while we go for a nice 9.2km stroll along Karst Spring Trail.

View from the parking lot.

7WoySPv.jpg

Right outside the parking lot, we were greeted by multiple sightings of very berry filled bear scat, but that was all we saw of them. Another hiker mentioned a momma and cubs were spotted in the parking lot recently.

Down the trail a bit, and we came to beautiful Watridge Lake

0p9tUJz.jpg

Past the lake, the trail turned into a skinny boardwalk until the ground firmed up again

NFxvUEq.jpg

CMg1dkf.jpg

Came upon the flow from the spring

6MplAm4.jpg

Up we go :)

4aU8zm9.jpg

Had to pause to take another of the same selfies as all the others we have ;)

sOuMnKd.jpg

At the top, here’s where the water comes up.

3IxJ00v.jpg

Looks pretty calm, but 10 feet away is a different story.

LXNC0Bw.jpg

Educational signage

7kuZXsE.jpg

Was pretty neat to see. Here’s a quick video with a surprise appearance from the better half

On the way back down I remembered I hadn’t taken a knife photo yet :D

OpwZz9U.jpg

Some drowned trees just off the path

mOcl83A.jpg

And last but not least, turkey sandwiches waiting back at the car!

Xusbofm.jpg

Bonus shot for Dan… On the way home we hit a traffic jam while some mountain sheep paused to lick the road

X0kBaG0.jpg

Come along while we go for a nice 9.2km stroll along Karst Spring Trail.

Thanks for taking us along Mike :) :thumbsup:
Breathtaking scenery ! Loved the variety that nature offers along that trail.
I can't help but wonder if it would be ok (safe) to drink from the spring right at the spot where the water comes out.

Bonus shot for Dan… On the way home we hit a traffic jam while some mountain sheep paused to lick the road

X0kBaG0.jpg

Thank you for the bonus shot my friend :thumbsup::cool:
I so would have been out of the car trying to get close to them for a knife pic 😂 ... ( I think the Porch knows that already lol ;) )

Here we go again :)

The smoke continues. Christina swore it was going to get better, and she wanted to go after a view today. That decision made, decided to try Mount Lipsett.

When we got out there, looked up, and it didn’t appear the smoke was going away…

nVvaObu.jpg

Decided to go for it anyway. To heck with the view :D

First car in the parking area.

3jgtFzt.jpg

Starting up. Trail meandered gently upwards for the most part.

iB5xBAv.jpg

Case 47 stockman rode along

famsBPX.jpg

After a while, a group of 20 somethings overtook and passed us. They all had walking sticks, and the last guy had two he was carrying. Offered one up to Christina, and she was happy to accept (she left her poles on the trail accidentally a few weeks ago).

omZkyOz.jpg

Overall, a pretty trail and not too strenuous, though we stopped regularly to take breaks.

HdQb8i6.jpg

HLXG6Ua.jpg

UTGMqEh.jpg

Above the trees it started getting a bit steeper. Destination is the little hill ahead.

5qWJYzf.jpg

View from the top was still okay, even with the smoke!

8yoAufP.jpg

NBZBJBC.jpg

3 hours up, just under 2 back down. Was a good day, but feel like I smoked a pack of cigarettes! ;)

What a fantastic thread! I’ll have to post some of my outdoor adventures as well.
CelloDan CelloDan - Your posts of the Rideau remind me a great deal of a fellow on YouTube called Roger Barnes, who is president of the British Dinghy Cruising Association. He makes excellent videos of his adventures sailing a small dinghy around the canals, rivers, and coasts of England and France. Since finding this thread an hour or so ago, I’m looking forward to the next update of your travels in Esperanza - keep it up!

I live in the city and have just started a corporate office job out of university, so I relish any chance for outdoor escapism - even when it’s virtual!

Last edited:
Back