A2 corrossion prevention

Hey , i'm really looking forward to the deer creek I have on order with Scott. This blade will be used for backpacking when I am going ultralight and I dont want to lug around a big blade, but I still need something robust enough to do fire prep, bushcraft, ect. Sometimes I go out for three days and the weather isnt always favorable, and I'm wondering what others do to deal with corrosion in the field? The other carbon steel blades I own have coatings so the rust isnt as much of an issue. You can still get it on the edge, but once you use it for a minute its gone. I use mineral oil around the house for this, you guys take a little with you?

My advice would be keep as dry as possible when not in use and keep the blade wiped down with oil when stored. I wouldn't worry with oiling while afield. Just wipe it off before resheathing.
Scott

For all my non-coated carbon steel blades that are users I force a patina by soaking the entire knife overnight in lemon juice.

After that maintenance consists of washing / wiping off the blade with sharpening as needed.

This is what works best for me.

-Stan

My advice would be keep as dry as possible when not in use and keep the blade wiped down with oil when stored. I wouldn't worry with oiling while afield. Just wipe it off before resheathing.
Scott

This has worked well for me with A2. I keep the sheath dry so I won't be storing it in a wet sheath. With O1 I put a patina on it first.

Do you actually submerge the whole knife scales and all? I was going to use a rag with vinegar and wrap the blade. Also how long exposure?

If you are set on a forced patina, I can do it for you before I ship the knife, no extra charge.
Scott

I do appreciate that, but I'd kinda like to do it, and I'd like to check out the nice satin finish for a day or so

No problem. You wipe down the blade or dip the the blade in a container filled with vinegar or lemon juice. No need to submerge the handle, just the blade. Just wipe around the exposed steel/tang on the handle.
Scott

Do you actually submerge the whole knife scales and all? I was going to use a rag with vinegar and wrap the blade. Also how long exposure?

Knife and all in lemon juice overnight -- eight hours.

Probably no need to do the whole handle as Scott says but I am a worrisome person. :D

-Stan

Last edited:
Stanley and Scott,

Can you post pics of your guys forced patina ?
Ive never had a problem with rust or anything
But im curious to see how they look with the
Forced patinas thanks

Frank

Stanley and Scott,

Forced patinas thanks

Frank

Here is a not-so-good photo:

O-1 patinas to a dark gray with an overnight soaking in lemon juice.

If you need a better photo let me know though I won't be able to post it until this weekend at the earliest. Life is super busy right now.

-Stan

I got an okay forced patina on my Schrade 8OT by sticking it in a potato overnight. I like the lemon juice better.

Stanley and Scott,

Forced patinas thanks

Frank

My Deer Creek w/ferric acid patina.

max125.jpg

My Tusker O1 w/ferric acid patina.

firsttusker.jpg

It will somewhat wear off eventually with use.

Stanley and Scott,

Thanks for the pics ! they gave me
Something to think about if I ever
Get tired of the finishes on my O1
PSK and my S7 polaris .

Frank

Stanley and Scott,

Thanks for the pics ! they gave me
Something to think about if I ever
Get tired of the finishes on my O1
PSK and my S7 polaris .

Frank

FYI, S7 steel takes on the same patina as A2 steel. With any of the dips, the longer it stays in, the darker it gets. IMO, ferric acid darkens the best, almost black if multiple dips are done.
Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the info ... I think ill stick
To the original finish for now just to
See what it does with some use !

Frank

Back