A2 Steel Update

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Cold Steel Knives, Aug 3, 2020.

1. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Well one thing 's for sure if you whack something with that 4034 stainless bladed trailmaster and it just bends like a pretzel you can just hammer it back straight again. Yep it'll be tough all right.

Smiling and DangerZone98 like this.
  2. Ptac157

Ptac157 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2013
    I find this response from Mr Thompson interesting. Let’s assume that everything stated about the A2 is accurate and it became more trouble than it was worth. Ok, I have no problem with that. However to go from A2, to 4034 and act as though it the next best thing is ludicrous. One of the main questions people have been asking isn’t about why the A2 isn’t being used. It’s about the multitude of other steel options available, some of which Cold Steel has already used (O1, SK5 etc) and why they have been discarded and replaced by a steel at the complete other end of the spectrum. I once again find myself wondering why my intelligence is being insulted by being sold 4034 as a great performing steel. There’s a reason it’s cheap and easily attainable. There’s also a reason why people were willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a Cold Steel Knife instead of a cheap stainless copy. IF by some chance Lynn is right, and 4034 turns out to perform better than the other carbon steels available, I will be the first one to admit i was wrong. It will be interesting to see the entire knifemaking world turned on its ear when 4034 is revealed as a great performer. Companies will have no need to use more expensive steel. Seriously Lynn, if you’re going to take the time to write a response, then you need to respond to the actual questions being asked. Not just give a sales pitch on the new steel choice.

3. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    It reminds me on mystery steel crappy knife I recently got from AliExpress.
    I thought it's very good at first, at secondary inspection I noticed it's quite bent. So I stabbed it into piece of wood again and pushed it to side to straighten it out again.
    I tested edge retention and it's edge retention is a joke.
    I got pissed and then really used lots of force while batonning it into really hard wood - no damage, until I batonned it against the grain into a smaller but hard branch, and now there's some ripple on the edge.
    That's how I imagine Cold Steel's 4034 will perform.

insta9ves, DangerZone98 and Smiling like this.
  4. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    Dear Lynn, nobody mentioned either XHP or S35VN so stop dancing around with that nonsense and admit real reasons why you chose 4034 over SK5 or 52100.

Also give me the answer why you did nothing about secure-ex sheaths dulling the knives. The sheath I made myself out of old denim and duct tape is unfortunatley better than one I got from mighty @Cold Steel Knives because no matter how good your knives are - they're useless if I'll need to sharpen them each time I pull them out of the sheath. I also plan to turn more to other manufacturers because:
    1. They got the sheaths right
    2. They have small fixed blades in decent carbon steels or stainless like 14C28N unlike cheap stainless you're selling

You at least knew to make wonderful knives and I adore my Warcraft Tanto but there's no way you'll convince me to buy a knife made out of liner material.

I'm looking forwards to those new 3V knives but then I remember that I'm a student and I don't need more knives, and I can't afford them right now either so I won't even buy any for a while.
    Then I also remember that I as a student had to get out of my way to replace the crappy sheath you provided me with.

And if my GF wants to buy me a knife as a gift again I'll tell her to avoid Cold Steel since not only I'll yet again have sheath issues, but she'll also be risking buying me a knife made out of pot metal since the girl has 0 knowledge about steel so she wouldn't even look into it.

About your company wanting to save money, I believe that 100%.

Also, you ignored that one post with your D guard latin machete being bent in your video.

Best regards.

insta9ves, DangerZone98 and Smiling like this.
  5. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    To sum this up:
    Lynn and Cold Steel: *announces 4034 steel instead of A2*
    Everyone: *starts roasting Lynn and Cold Steel*
    Lynn: *chimes in to give some explanation*
    Everyone: "Ohhhh..." *calms down*
    Everyone: *realizes that Lynn didn't answer real questions, talked about steels we didn't mention and is still throwing sales pitch about 4034 being superior steel*.... *starts to roast Lynn and Cold Steel again"*

6. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    We roast because we give a damn lol. It’s painful to see a knife company known for awesome trucker knives to resort to 4034SS.

7. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    From trucker knives to gas station knives...

I hope I'm wrong.

8. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Cold Steel - World’s strongest sharpest knives
    Cold Steel - Anytime anywhere
    Cold Steel - Tone deaf cheap junks

9. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    All I know is that I need to sharpen my knife anytime and anywhere if I'm using the Secure-ex sheath...
    Only thing that's secure about secure-ex is that it'll dull your blade instantly if you touch it with the edge.

And about large bowies in 4034 stainless... reminds me of gas station knives. Winchester bowie and Mtech got some serious competition now.

Large 4034 knife for survival? Relying my life on that?!?!
    Talk about crapshoot...
    What a joke

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  10. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I just did googling about 4034 steel again...
    Here's a quote for you:
    " 420 or 4034 stainless steels are the softest and least expensive. The presence of these steels usually means the knife is mass produced and imported from China. These steels are not brittle, but they do not stay sharp for long either. Still, if you want an aggressively styled assisted-opening tactical knife but do not want to spend much more than $30, a 4034 steel Smith and Wesson M&P makes it possible."

And some other sites say that it's not even suitable as blade material, it's also listed as liner material on some sites.

EDIT - some of words lead to the site that sells S&W so I deleted words that were linked and wrote them back without the link.

11. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    Maybe this is Cold Steels tactic to battle counterfeits?

They'll dry up their steel suppliers and force them to produce knives out of better and more expensive steel so they can't be cheaper than Cold Steel?

:D :D :D

DangerZone98, insta9ves and Smiling like this.
  12. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    Forty years Lynn Thompson has spent designing, developing, producing, testing, and selling knives. Which of you has worked forty years in your trade? How much credence would you give to the recommendations, critiques, and complaints of people who hadn't spent forty years in your industry, who hadn't made their livelihoods in your career, telling you how things ought to be done?

Squawk all you like. I'll give Lynn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to choosing a steel that he believes will perform in his knives to his expectations.

-Steve

willc, DocJD, Kels73 and 2 others like this.
  13. Centuriator

Centuriator Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2020
    99% of the bitching and moaning is from people who are not using these blades for any serious application in the real world.

They are just commenting and griping on an Internet forum and aside from the occasional camping outing, or brushing clearing on their property, they never use the blades in any serious application.

It's pathetic.

willc, Kels73 and AF like this.
  14. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Centuriator

Jun 7, 2020
    Case in point.

16. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Actually 99% is from the same person...LOL. We just need a beating a dead horse GIF.

willc and Kels73 like this.
  17. Centuriator

Jun 7, 2020
  18. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    unnamed.jpg

19. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Attitudes like this are how you get the Star Wars prequel movies...

Too bad no one told Lucas that they were bad ideas :D

20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) My heart agrees . I've been buying and using CS products from nearly their beginning . Most have been very good to excellent in performance .

I respect LT as a martial artist and knife designer and appreciate his many far out products that almost no-one else will dare market . Like huge fighting folders .

And nearly all are available eventually at a reasonable price point . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

o_O But my head says that the 4034 steel has severe limitations for use in big choppers that no HT can overcome . :(

So I'm just gonna wait and see , I guess . :confused: