A2 vs 01 vs 1095

John, or anyone else who has done a little science or used all three quite a bit. Given the same size, shape and quality of heat treating, how do these steels compare for edge retention and/or toughness? How about stain resistance?

Not meaning to get into brand names. I have noticed that Custom makers use all three of these steels from time to time.

I don't have any knives in A2 but I have a few in in both 1095 and O1. In all truth I can't tell a difference between edge retention or stain resistance. Everybody knocks O1 for being highly stainable, but I find it little or no different than my 1095 blades. Then again, patina isn't something that bothers me and I encourage it to happen. Both 1095 and O1 are easy to sharpen which is a quality I like!

I like all three. :D I have a problem talking about edge retention because I'm always sharpening my
knives--even in the field I carry a little strop and diamond rod. Once they are shaving sharp, out
comes the strop to bring back the edge. ;)

More than the steel, I think the heat treatment will have a greater impact on edge retention.

None of the aforementioned steels are true stainless, but of the three, I think A-2 is the most stain
resistant (a bit of chromium). A-2 seems to be a good all round steel but may be a little trickier to
heat treat optimally.

All three of the steels you mention are good steels when heated/tempered with care. I'd get a blade
in any of them from a reliable bladesmith (in fact I have at least one blade in all three).

1095 is my favorite, but i dont have any really good reason, there is just somthing about it.

I agree there. I guess my reason is just that it is "the knife steel" in terms of knifemaking historicaly speaking. I mean from colonial times forward 1095 was the steel that was primarily used. So being a huge fan of the old school way of making knives I am partial to it. That being said I really can't tell the difference from a using standpoint. Rotte hit the nail on the head about the heat treat making or breaking the steel.

I don't hard use my knives, well, not in the past, except for a few. Most of those are O1. I have used A2 in the past, and have a few in 1095. I have been told that heat treat is a big factor, and I agree with that. O1 will stain very easily if you do not take care of it, it is one of my favorites. 1095 is very easy to work with, and A2 is the most stain resistant of the three, but will also rust. I just wipe them down with a Tuff Cloth after use.

Back