A2 vs. D2 steel for a Hunter..

I'm still stuck between..

Knives of Alaska's Alaskan Hunter with D2 steel

or

Bark River Highland Special Black Micarta with A2 steel

tell me which and most of all why...:confused:

The perfect solution to your problem....................get both because either one is a good choice.:D The D2 will be less stain resistant.
Scott

Razorback - Knives said:
The perfect solution to your problem....................get both because either one is a good choice.:D The D2 will be less stain resistant.
Scott

I agree that either works well for knife blade applications, but it's been my experience that D2 is MORE stain resistant than A2. The D2 steel, too, in my experience will stay sharper a little longer; but it takes a little longer to sharpen. I'll usually choose D2 for smaller blades (e.g., folders) and A2 for larger blades.

I appreciate the opinions. I'm aware of the the different qualities of each of these steels, I'm just looking for people with experience using one or both extensively for outdoorsmen applications. I've always been into hunting and the outdoors, but grew up just backwoods enough to buy a buck at walmart and when it dulls buy another. I've only resently (the past couple years) got into collecting knives and knowing what steel is what.

Both are my favorite steels. Actually, D2 is more stain resistant having 12% chromium versus 5% for A2. But the steels are both fantastic for knife blades.

For hunting I usually have two good fixed blades, a big folder, and a bow saw for meat/bone. That way I don't have to ever stop and fool around sharpening or worry if anything breaks when cleaing game.

I think it is 6 of one, or a half-dozen of the other. You won't be able to tell any difference between the steel of either one of them.

I would get the one that you think will be the most comfortable in your hand for an hour of hard cutting work. This has more to do with the handle and blade shape than the type of steel the blade is made from. You have enough experience to know what will work for you.

Just my $.02.

I think you would be happy with either for your intended purpose. The D2 is more stain resistant and will usually hold an edge longer than the A2 in my opinnion, however, I can get my A2 blades sharper for some reason. I like both of these blade steels and have good luck with them. I would be very surprised if you had to sharpen either one while field dressing or skinning a deer, providing the knife was sharp to begin with.

I wouldn't get hung up on the particular steel types. Both of those are high-end tool steels and most users will never tell the difference.

Buy the knife that feels more comfortable or looks better.

Best Wishes,
Bob

A lot depends on the maker and Bark River does A2 in an outstanding manner.

The Highland is a great knife. Deceptively small for the big tasks it will perform.

Phil

Hey Silverback its me your crazy redneck buddy since elementary school. I think you should check out current EBAY auctions (Item number: 7211116164 and Item number: 6596989066). I love the Bark River Highland Special. Since the D2 and A2 steels are so similar I think the BR Highland just simply looks better so I would buy it.

"Laws don't stop criminals, people do. Making more laws to stop crimes that are already illegal is like making a house safer by adding more doors so that it will have more locks"

Laws don't stop criminals, people do. Making more laws to stop crimes that are already illegal is like making a house safer by adding more doors so that it will have more locks

HAHA... you got that right.

Knives of Alaska only hardens their D2 to 58-59 RC. If you get A2 hardened to 60 it may hold an edge better than D2 at 58 RC. The carbides in D2 may hold up to more wear, but harder A2 may have more resistance to rolling on hard use.

Back