Aaaaeeeeiiiiiiitc-100...

Ding-blastit, grabble-furkin' ringading sabble-rabble...:mad:

Alrighty, then...now that THAT's out of the way...so, I FINALLY got me some ITC-100 to line the Hellmouth (my Frankenforge) with. Mind you, after events of the last month, it's been sitting on the shelf for a month, but that shouldn't matter...it was unopened.

Anyway, so yesterday I go to apply it. I read the instructions, such as they are, which basically go something like this:

1. Mix 1 pt. ITC-100 with 1/2 pt. water.
2. After removing any loose fibres, dirt, etc., from the subject to be lined, dampen the surface with water.
3. Spraying the ITC-100 will give the best coating.

Well, nobody ever mentions that ITC-100, due to a) being the consistency of playdoh, and b) having a bunch of silicates in it, doesn't really mix well with water. Sure, you get a nice, brownish slurry, but you also get a goop at the bottom (mind you, this is after stirring with a whisk for thirty minutes) that most chocolate-milk-lovers would KILL for. :rolleyes: Then, when I got to the point of actually "spraying it in..." I'm at a loss. The stuff is too heavy for my spray bottle to draw up!! So, I wound up just painting it in, trying to get the most even coat I could. AAARRRGGHHH!!!

Am I missing something? How are you guys that use this stuff applying it? How many coats are you using?

I use a paint brush to apply it. I mix it in a old food processor. Then I paint it on to the Inswool then put the wool into the forge.

Hey, I.G., I thought about doing that, but I was worried that the ITC-100 would flake off of the kaowool.

Do you put the kaowool in the forge before it dries, or after? If after, do you have to touch it up much/at all? And how long should you let this stuff dry, before you fire up the forge? I'm figuring that a day or two at 100+ degrees, down here in Dallas, should have it pretty good, but I've a strict "No Blowing Self Up" policy in my shop, and so I wanna be sure.

I'm not familiar with this exact product, but a lot of refractories prefere being mixed by being cut nut stirred. That said I realize that few people have access to the proper type of mixer. Cement mixers do ok if you are useing amounts large enough. If not the mixer attachment on the largest drill you can find will do. The correct amount of water is also very important. As for spraying the only thing I have found that works is a hopper gun designed for plaster or stucco. I hope some of this is helpfull. If not please disregard.

WS

Try a local pottery supply store. The one down the street from my house has sprayer for this stuff that they let people use for free. +deposit of course:D it is like a paint sprayer.

Well, it looks okay, I guess...I'm gonna fire up the Hellmouth this evening, and if I don't get blown to smithereenies, I'll post out tomorrow and let everyone know whether or not there was any change.

Wish me luck...or at least promise not to point and laugh at my singed remains!!

:eek: :p :eek:

Back