Abnormally sharp, or are they all like it?

T

Trevor Calder

A couple of days ago I received a package containing four standard production folders. None of them were very expensive, or in any way out of the ordinary, and all had plain edges (none of those fancy serrations for me).
Like we all do I shaved my arms bare trying the edges:)
Three of the four were nicely sharp, with quite acceptable edges.
The exception was the Spyderco Q - it was by far the sharpest of the lot and significantly sharper than the others.
The others shaved hair nicely - the Q frightened it to death!
Is this normal for Spyderco knives, or did I just get lucky?

Oh, and my wife now has the Q - apparently the bug design is "cute". No, I didn't know that either:)

I just purchased a Spyderco Delica and man is it sharp! I use to think I kept my knives sharp, but this knife is definatly sharper.

In the words of "The Duke",
"That's normal."
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

Ken is right, Spyderco is by far the sharpest factory knives from the box. Kinda like Sebenzas without the price...

Every new Spyderco knife I've owned have come shaving sharp. That includes the serrated ones. Haven't heard of to many that are not super sharp.
prigger

Couldn't agree more. My last three new Spydercos (Dragonfly,Military and Horn Lightweight) all came out of the box "scary sharp".

Gentlemen, I posted a similar question to Sal on 19 Jan 1999. He replied that at Spyderco, skilled and experienced craftmen use fine buffers to achieve the degree of abnormally sharp edges.

Endre
Proud owner of a G-10 Flat Grind Police!

They're all like that. Some are more so than others, eg. the Moran Lightweight and the Calypso, both in VG 10 steel(awesome stuff);
the Military (new model) is also vorpal with it's CPM 440V. Since I've been playing with these models, my other production knives seem a bit dull by comparison.

Brian,
Glad to see that I'mm not the only person who uses the word "vorpal" in normal conversation.

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to mine arms my beamish boy. Oh frabjous day calous calais he chortled in his joy!

All my Spyderco knives (Endura, Police, Goddard light, Harpy) are hair-shaving sharp (the backs of my hands are often sans hair).

I wouldn't say they're abnormally sharp for Spyderco.
wink.gif
But perhaps abnormally sharp for Other Peoples knives. When I got my Old Timer it was about as sharp as a baseball bat (fortunately, that can change)...as opposed to Spyderco's products, which don't let me down.

-Dan

Every Spydie I've got ... Delica, Delica '98, Endura, Dragonfly, Ladybug, ProGrip, Calypso Jr., Jess Horn Lightweight, and a Michael Walker lightweight (which was lost) are all scary sharp, esp. the Calypso Jr. The only production knives I own that rival this sharpness are from Cold Steel, Kershaw, and SOG. Jim

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Couldn't agree more, the first Spyderco knife I purchased was Mr. Glesser himself at the Ashokan Seminar in Ashokan NY, he visited for the weekend and on Sunday we had show and tell, all the hammerheads (damascus makers) were all over his table playing and looking at the new stuff he had. I picked up a blue Delica, serrated, and a crumbled up invoice took a try cut at it and it sliced the middle af if it were a straight piece of paper! I bought it, of course. Mr. Glesser just looked up and smiled. The most recent in my collection is the Calypso with VG10 micarta handles, it was extremely sharp and is staying that way!
Thanks Sypderco!

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC