? about a 317

good evening ,
i am just curious about this knife simply because it was my fathers and i think my grandfathers ,but anyway after the passing of my dad in 99' i aquired his favorite buck that he carried faithfully every day

ok heres the questions
how old is this knife?
what would be its value ,just curious it is pricless to me

oh ,I got a very nice 112 for christmas from my son and why doesnt it show on the website as a collector series or something with it being a founders series or anything

i am just curious if i should not carry it and display it with the little thing that was included or just use it like a knife should be used

thank you
rick

...I've seen the 317 in perfect shape with just the sheath going for $60 to $80...If it has the box, papers, etc they'll go for $100 to $120 on that big auction house on the net...As for the 112, I'm using one of 'em as an EDC...112's are just great users...If ya want to join BA ( Buckaholics Anonymous ) stick it up on the mantle and buy another to use every day...then pop in here every now and then to let us know what other Bucks you've started to see appearing around your house...:eek: :p :thumbup:

I watch these on Ebay alot, hoping to catch a bargain. one sold last night in "good" condition with sheath for 76.98.

mine has NEVER seen a stone
dad always used a leather belt to sharpen his knives and it is in very good shape and very tight
as for bucks around the house ,i have 4 right now small pocket knife .the 112 i just got ,the 317 and a 118 hunting knife
but any knife i think about purchasing or have purchased it is a buck hands down

and thank you for responding and i will use the 112 i got now and buy another to put in my cabinet for show

and thank you for responding and i will use the 112 i got now and buy another to put in my cabinet for show

he he other way around my friend... put the knife your son got you on show and buy a 112 user :) thats what I would do anyway..

very good idea my friend

then the day the lord calls me home then my son will have it along with the others and more to come !

The 317 Trailblazer was introduced in 1972. It was a Camillus contract knife made for Buck. The first version had a mark side tang stamp of Buck-Made in-U.S.A. on three lines on the main blade. The model number, 317, was stamped on the pile side. The first version also had the main blade nail nick positioned close to the blade tip. From 1973 on, 317's had a main blade tang stamp reading Buck-317-U.S.A. on three lines with no other blade markings and the nail nick was moved closer to the center of the blade. The 317 was discontinued in 1986. Hope this helps you date your knife.

thank you jjar ,if memory serve me correctly my father had the knife repaired .
he had broken the main blade so this may been a pre-73 but it has the latter of the 2 markings so the main blade was made after 73'

The 317 Trailblazer was introduced in 1972. It was a Camillus contract knife made for Buck. The first version had a mark side tang stamp of Buck-Made in-U.S.A. on three lines on the main blade. The model number, 317, was stamped on the pile side. The first version also had the main blade nail nick positioned close to the blade tip. From 1973 on, 317's had a main blade tang stamp reading Buck-317-U.S.A. on three lines with no other blade markings and the nail nick was moved closer to the center of the blade. The 317 was discontinued in 1986. Hope this helps you date your knife.

OK, now THAT is impressive.

Knife listed above.

The 317 Trailblazer was introduced in 1972. It was....

Yea, what he said. :p Stole my thunder! :D

Make sure you dont break that knife, we ran clean out of parts a while back and have no way of repairing them anymore. I think that has a lot to do with how much they are worth today.

Welcome to the forums by the way!!:)

OK guys, just because I can. Pic of the "three" standard 317's that are possible to obtain. Note the, mentioned above, nail nics. The new one no one has yet mentioned is the factory serrated secondary blade model. There is also some blade etched special issue models. Be careful with these big boys they can snap like a gator.

Serrated secondary, cuts to the off-hand side. Don't know myself how many of these they made, maybe someone else can tell us. :thumbup:

Serrated secondary, cuts to the off-hand side. Don't know myself how many of these they made, maybe someone else can tell us. :thumbup:

I've seen Camillus' under their own name with it, but yours is the first Buck I've see with a serrated edge.

I've seen one or two on ebay over several years and 4 or 5l years ago one at a gun show. Winchester on ebay. :thumbup: cheap

I saw an unserrated one in Nov. at a knife show, used but in pretty decent shape. Should have bought it, was about 25.00 less than any I have seen on Ebay since.

Oh well

Back