about RH knives

Hi. I want to learn more about RH knives. Can a kind member show me where I can read about the different Hinderer folders? These are what I know so far:

1. They're awesome!
2. There are 3 models - XM-24, XM-18 3.5" blade and XM-18 3" blade
3. Current XM-18 Gen is 3
4. Latest production blades are Carpenter Steel

What about the Gen 1 and Gen 2? What were the differences or modifications made? What steels were used? I saw D2, Duratech and S30V. What Gen is the XM-24 now?

Thank you.

Can a kind member show me where I can read about the different Hinderer folders? These are what I know so far:

1. They're awesome!
2. There are 3 models - XM-24, XM-18 3.5" blade and XM-18 3" blade
3. Current XM-18 Gen is 3
4. Latest production blades are Carpenter Steel

What about the Gen 1 and Gen 2? What were the differences or modifications made? What steels were used? I saw D2, Duratech and S30V. What Gen is the XM-24 now?

I'll try and give a brief response off the top of my head. I'm a big fan of Rick's knives and other stuff (Kubatons, Pens). I finally had the opportunity to meet Rick and Rob O in person last week. Two top notch guys! I'm proud to support RHK!

Rick has been in the business for almost 25 years so over the years, he has had a ton of different designs. The most popular is the XM-18. The new ZT knife is or will be a production of the Camp Knife. Gerber has also done a few designs of Rick's (Torch, Flame, and some others). Rick has some sweet fixed blades right now too (Field Tac, FXM, Flashpoint).

As far as the XM's go, the XM-18 has basically had three generations, but Rick has been constantly improving the design. There are bigger differences than I'm listing, but simply put the Gen 1 had a half liner/G10 combo scale, milled lock face, marked hand ground blades. Gen 2's have a full titanium liner with the G10 scale, marked hand ground blades. The Gen 3's have Hinderer on the lock face around the pivot and the CNC ground blades. There are also the custom Gen 3s with the hand ground blades. There are various blade styles, but the production being the Spanto grind. Although the 24's are new, they are built similar to a gen 3 XM-18.

The majority of the XM-18s have the Duratech steel and I think all the 24's have the XHP-CTS steel.

I'm sure there will be some more detailed responses, this should get you started or at least give some basic info to research. There are also other forums that RHK is involved with that can give you a lot of information.

@Rico801 - when you said majority of XM-18 have Duratech steel, do you mean all 3 Gens or just Gen 3? I haven't seen Gen 1 and 2. Does it mean that a XM-18 with blade other than Duratech will make it a rare variant? Thanks.

@Pieter.45 - thanks. I'm sure RH makes sweet fixed blades but I'm not into fixed blades just yet :)

To clarify, the majority of the G1, G2, and G3 Xm-18 3.5" are made of D20CV. There are some G3 XM-18 3.5" with the XHP. There might be some 3.5" G1 or G2 with S30, but I don't think so.

From what I understand, all the 3" XMs are Duratech and all the 24s are XHP.

Rick or Rob would need to confirm this info for sure.

Thank you for the information. I would like to make a clarification also because when I reread my reply #4, it seems to me that it came across as "I haven't seen a Gen 1 or 2 LIVE". What I really meant was that I haven't seen a picture of the Gen 1 or 2 during my internet searches. I have not seen any RH knives in any Gen live. I only "saw" them here and in my internet searches :( Sad to say, during my searches, I haven't been able to find the answers to my original questions hence this thread. I hope some members with knowledge can share what they know and contribute to this topic. Thank you. :)

I have gen3 xm18 3.5 in XHP and now have xm24 coming. The steel is so good, that I'd jump on 3" xm18, if it would be available in XHP.
Pity it is Rick does not have them made in XHP...for now? :D

I have gen3 xm18 3.5 in XHP and now have xm24 coming. The steel is so good, that I'd jump on 3" xm18, if it would be available in XHP.
Pity it is Rick does not have them made in XHP...for now? :D

I wonder why that is. Maybe the 3" version isn't expected to be used as hard as the bigger ones?

I wonder why that is. Maybe the 3" version isn't expected to be used as hard as the bigger ones?

I think the reason is because when Rick did the last run of 3" knives, he didn't have the XHP steel yet. It is possible that they will be XHP in the future, but don't quote me on that. :D

I think the reason is because when Rick did the last run of 3" knives, he didn't have the XHP steel yet. It is possible that they will be XHP in the future, but don't quote me on that. :D

Is the XHP that much better than the 20CV?

Back