about the LM Core...

Here's a new model that doesn't seem to be getting much attention. I switched to one recently after carrying a Swisstool for years. It doesn't have the gee-whiz factor of the Surge or Charge but I think it is the better tool over all. I miss being able to access the tools with the pliers closed but that's about the biggest negative I've found. Also I wish it was offered with the new scissors found on the Surge. The screwdrivers are made better than the Vic's and the larger plier jaws are nice. Even better are the huge wire cutters ( the small cutters on the Vic are it's biggest weakness IMHO). The Core does feel like it's built cheaper than the Vic but I think that it will prove plenty strong. Besides, a new model will come out that I'll have to get long before the Core wears out.
So if you're looking for a new multi-tool give the Core some serious consideration. It doesn't have the bells and whistles offered on some of the other LM models but I think it's the most useful tool offered today.

I have a Core but I usually carry the Surge! but I do like the Core and in fact like it more than the Surge but I use blades alot in my work so I carry the Surge at work. I carried the Core today because I am off work. I too wish Leatherman had put scissors on the Core, I usually carry a Vic Outrider to pair up with the Core, The Vic has Scissors and a small phillips screwdriver so they complament each other.

The awful blade steel on nearly all multi's has never bothered me as I always have at least 2 good folders with me also. I view the blade on my multi as a beater blade; it gets to scrape gaskets, pry out staples and other obusive tasks that I won't do with a good blade.

I have found that (for me) the Core addresses 98% of what I need a multi to do. I still have not found the "ultimate" EDC for work, but this is close enough.
I do carry the Surge on my days off and that has also worked out reasonably well.:)

John Frederick said:
The awful blade steel on nearly all multi's has never bothered me as I always have at least 2 good folders with me also. I view the blade on my multi as a beater blade; it gets to scrape gaskets, pry out staples and other obusive tasks that I won't do with a good blade.

Although I own and appreciate quality blades, in my experience those on multitools are good enough for utility. This is what MTs are designed for, isn't it? If you expect to do some serious cutting, bring a good knife. If you don't know what to expect, most of the time the multitool will do just fine.

Compared with SAKs, Leathermen (and, for heaven's sake, a Kamp King!), I have found the only real difference has been that lesser steels need to be touched up or re-sharpened more often. IMHO, none of these blades can be described as awful. Millions of knon-knife knuts use these things every day and think highly of them. Are they so wrong?

Because my multitool blades only get occasional use, I may not be in a good position to evaluate. Maybe those who post otherwise have special uses that require performance beyond what the 420 series can provide, so I do not discount their opinions. But I would like to know what are the criteria. Assuming a reputable make (Vic, Leatherman), apart from frequency of sharpening, what does it take to be a not awful blade?

znapschatz said:
Compared with SAKs, Leathermen (and, for heaven's sake, a Kamp King!), I have found the only real difference has been that lesser steels need to be touched up or re-sharpened more often. IMHO, none of these blades can be described as awful. Millions of knon-knife knuts use these things every day and think highly of them. Are they so wrong?
I have to agree with you. Until fairly recently, I only carried a Leatherman Wave, and used the knife blades in lieu of a separate locking folder, and it served very well. Sure, it needed more frequent sharpening than, say, a VG-10 Spyderco, but I rarely ever felt like I needed a "better" knife.

(In the case of the Wave, having both a well-shaped long-clip plain edge blade, and a full-sized serrated blade, I was arguably better equipped than I would've been with a single-blade locking folder.)

I have used Blades on a Multi Tool to cut just about everything you can think of. I also can get my Leatherman so sharp you can shave with it. Yes it does not hold that edge as good as the cool steels of today but I can sharpen one very fast, I am talking about the Surge and Core. I do wish Leatherman would come out with a Surge like tool with the 154CM PE Blade on it.

Let me clarify please...

The term "awful" was inapropriate. These blades are perfectly acceptable but I'm a bit of a steel snob. Sometimes there are jobs that require a knife but may subject the edge to abuse; this is where I prefer to use the cheaper blade steel and keep my carry knives sharp for things like rope, leather, food and the boogie man.

For almost 10 years my EDC multitool has usually been a Supertool (original) and, most recently, a Supertool 200. Actually, I prefered the original, but recently gave it away to a deserving friend and broke out the 200 I had bought at a blowout price and was saving for such an occasion. (snip)

Oops, I posted this to the wrong thread. It belongs in "OK, we all carry a mult of one sort or another."

Okay, I'm moving it now.

znapschatz said:
...apart from frequency of sharpening, what does it take to be a not awful blade?

That is pretty much it, you can make a knife out of mild steel if you want, and the essential difference between it and the high end cutlery steel is that it will wear out faster from sharpening. It will also need a thicker cross section to not bend/break, but for just cutting the stress is so low this isn't a factor this is more for knives used for general utility, prying, chopping, etc. . For just cutting ropes, cardboard, etc., you can make the knife out of a piece of tension bar and it will cut all day as long as you sharpen it as necessary.

-Cliff

Back