About the new year?

Still relatively new to EDC'ing strictly CRK and CRK only. Do they usually drop a few new knives at the beginning of a new year or is it something just here and there? I have a large and small plain Jane 21 (both engraved), and a large and small wood inlay 21. I feel I've covered a good amount of bases every day carry wise. Really wanting to stick with the pivot bushing. I feel I see the same five or so woods available out now... wondering how often they change it up a bit. Thanks

They announce new inlays or designs at different points throughout the year. It isn't like a set amount of time for each. Could be SHOT show, BLADE show... some graphics for the new year... some get discontinued...some inlays may be a dealer exclusive so that would depend on the dealer as to when those would start or stop.

Pale Moon Ebony was a CRK Exclusive wood inlay. Desert Ironwood was a Plaza Cutlery exclusive. Red linen Micarta is a KnivesShipFree exclusive. When those types of exclusives come open you need to jump on them. Although the KSF micarta is still available readily from them.

They always seem to try to bring something new to Blade, but new knives can pop up anytime. The Halloween edition last year is an example.
If you want something different in wood, the secondary market is a good place to look. They have had a fair variety over the years

Since they just changed the wood inlays recently, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on new wood inlays to come out. To change things up, you can look at the Damascus blades with the same wood inlays. It gives you a different look with the same wood inlays.

To my knowledge they changed the procedure for the CGG (Computer Generated Graphics) beginning of 2016 and they are going to stick with it. At Shot Show 2016 a bunch of new CGG designs was introduced and the current line up was discontinued. They followed this procedure beginning of 2017 and I believe we will see the same in January 2018.

As Ajack60 mentioned above. The wood inlays have seen a major change 2nd half of last yeard. They discontinued Cocobolo, Snakewood, Gabon Ebony, Bocote and introduced Spalted Beech, Bog Oak, Macassar and Thuya. The only wood inlay which was retained is Box Elder Burl. Changes within the wood inlay material are not done systematically, like with the CGG recently. They are more effected by availabillity and by legal aspects. The list of protected wood is updated from time to time and once a wood used by CRK gets on the list, they need to look for a substitute.

https://cites.org/eng/news/pr/2011/20110928_timber_appendixIII.php

OP, when you say "drop a few knives at the beginning of the year" do you mean like completely new models or do you mean as has been mentioned in the thread here new CGG patterns, new inlays and so forth? CRK is not like other manufactures where they introduce completely new knife models each year. Right now I count 9 models of knives on their site. Lots of variations of some of those models exist.

Just wondering if you meant models as well as inlay materials.

Back