Above The 48th Parallel: Hurricane Vs. Blizzard

Thanks for the kind words guys! Munk has it right, I try to see both sides but didn't do a good job of it this time.

My Dad used to say that if he had to choose between the heat and high humidity or the bitter cold, he would choose the cold. He said you could always put on another layer of clothing, but there was only so much you could take off!

He spent a couple of years over in South Korea and he said it was the coldest damned place he had ever been to in his life. I have an old photo of him standing in an ice field that looks exactly like the pictures I have seen of the Arctic. Still he said he got used to it. (He spent a year in Tokyo after that and loved it.)

At night they would drain all the oil out of their jeeps and trucks, and in the morning build fires and heat it up and pour it back into the engine blocks. Leave a vehicle out overnight without draining the oil and you just left it sitting right there for scrap.

Speaking of cold, someone here last year posted a great story by Jack London, which name escapes me. "Building a Fire?" or something similar. Now _that's_ cold...

Norm, it's called "To Build A Fire", and it always depressed the hell out of me.

OK, this is a longshot...but didn't London also write a short story about a prize fighter who lost his last chance to get ahead, because he was too poor to buy A Peice of Steak? (or something like that) Very depressing.

munk

Back