1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ABS plastic vs. Kydex sheets

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by daizee, Feb 28, 2011.

1. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Does anyone know if "ABS Textured Plastic" sheets as for sale on Amazon are the same thing as Kydex (which I presume is a trademark)?
    I have some credits and was poking around for what I might be able to get for knives.

Thanks,

-Daizee

2. sunshadow

sunshadow

Oct 2, 2006
    Kydex is a tradename for ABS

-Page

3. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Why not contact the seller and ask ?

4. precision plus

precision plus

Jun 15, 2009
    There is a difference between kydex and abs both are thermoforming but...First one is kydex is fire retardant (you can get fr-abs witch also is) Second is texture is a bit different. Then there is the strength issue. ABS is not as strong and kydex is a little easier to form with better part definition and deep-draw characteristics. Concealex is much closer to kydex just different trademark names. Although this is more from data sheets and not experience as I am not a sheath maker but have made quite a few molds for them.

Travis,

5. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Kydex is a mixture of PVC and acrylic. There are different grades of kydex. But kydex has become a generic word so make sure what you get is what you want .
    www.kydex.com

6. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I thought that Kydex was an ABS/PVC or ABS/acrylic alloy. Something like that. It might be stiffer or have better creep resistance than general purpose ABS.

oops, mete beat me to it...

7. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    Kydex is not ABS.

You can use ABS for sheaths, and I know of some manufacturers and one custom maker (for smaller sheaths) that does, but they're not the same. ABS does have an advantage in that it can resist high temps better, but it isn't nearly as tough or flexible as Kydex.

8. Fellhoelter

Fellhoelter

Dec 29, 2005
    ABS is not as resistant to solvents either.

9. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Thanks, everyone. Very helpful.
    I had searched for "kydex sheet" and got these ABS hits, but couldn't reconcile why, except maybe Amazon's search engine was trying to be smart. (don't get me started on "smart" computers...)

It was about half the price of Kydex by area, and I just didn't know if I was paying for a name or a proprietary formula with real advantages with the kydex or not. Which I'm happy with given my one use so far, by the way. In the end the material is still ridiculously inexpensive compared to the time invested in making a whole knife.

-Daizee

10. sunshadow

sunshadow

Oct 2, 2006
    Thanks for setting me straight. My last plastic supplier lied to me

-Page

11. Nebulae

Nebulae

Aug 24, 2009
    just out of curiosity what do you guys think of this it looks like it could be awesome for keeping knives clean for occasional food prep, or accidental cutting yourself. But it would have to be bought in bulk

12. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    As my brother would put it:

meh, these things, they happen. *shrug*

13. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Page and Nathan , that's what I mean by 'kydex' becomming a generic name .Yes it's very confusing !! There is a sheath maker who calls it 'kydex' but doesn't use kydex even though he knows the difference !
    I have been criticized for insisting that proper metallugical terms are used properly but this is exactly why I do !

14. murphda2

murphda2

Jan 1, 2008
    Looks like neat stuff. If the price was right I'd be willing to grab a bit of it.

15. Gigmaster

Gigmaster

Aug 29, 2007
    I make sheaths from PVC pipe (Schedule 40) that I get from Ace Hardware all the time. I have a few Kydex sheaths, and I can't see much difference in them, other than maybe looks. The Kydex comes already colored. PVC works great, and costs next to nothing.