Absence makes the heart grow even fonder (almost lost my 'nut)

Had a scare over the past few days, guys, as I couldn't find my Case peanut. :( I searched and search and reckoned it was gone for good but when I told my wife about it she said, "No, you left it open up on the shelf where the printer is and I damn near cut myself on it!" :eek: Then I remembered I'd been using it to cut open a pack of printer paper and, in my haste to make an appointment, took off sans knife. It's been years since I've lost a knife so I was pretty bummed about it. The thing is, during its leave of absence, it really occurred to me that I love that little pattern ..... Forget bargain hunting, searching out a swap or waiting till pay day, I was ready to replace it with another peanut right away. What started as a simple curiosity prompted by all of jackknife's peanut musings has ended up sealing the deal for me. Could be that I'm a peanut guy for life.

While it was away, I grabbed my old Schrade 33OT middleman jack out of the drawer and began carrying it. It's also a great knife. But last night, holding the two of 'em side by side, something really struck me. The 33OT seems like a bigger, more substantial knife, but to compare cutting surface, its main blade really only has about an extra centimeter or less on the peanut; and their pen blades are the same size. Again, it's really something else how much cutting ability is packed into one little two-blader. All hail the mighty peanut! :D

I am picking up what your laying down. I too cayght the peanut bug as a result of Jackknife (and ElCuchillo and others) praises if the pattern here. It has become my EDC office knife.

It is small and unassuming yet packs some awesome cutting power. The thin clip point blade zips through cardboard, and quarters apples like a laser. The little pen blade is a letter opener and pencil sharpener par exellance.

Not much bigger than a SAK classic (the only knife I can think of that is less dangerous looking)yet it will accomplish a whole lot of cutting tasks.

Previously, I had considered the peanut too small. Now I can not imagine a "knife life" without one. Truly a must own knife.

Great you found the little guy, at least you came to realize (what you probably knew before ;-)). I'm gonna have to agree with you and join in with you in your song of praise for the peanut:
All hail the mighty peanut!

Once I read you post I realized, that I seem to neglect my peanut a little, so back it went to joint the zippo.

Great post mn. :thumbup:

Peter

I lost my old brown jigged handled peanut a few years ago, and freaked out right here on the forum. I couldn't believe it was gone and tried other patterns, and none were the same. Finally, fewpop took pity on me and sent me my now infamous Bone Stag peanut, and the rest, as they say, is history. Peanuts are like Pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop.

Yeah I too have been infected by the Peanut curse. I felt it was too small when I first tried one, but slowly it (one of the five I now have) has become my number 1 EDC.

It warms my heart to see the little peanut loved by you guys. It is, in my mind, the little knife that can.

I remember as a kid thinking it was too small a knife to take seriously. After all, grandad carried a stockman, Uncle Mike carried a stoclman, Uncle Pat (when he was sover carried a large two blade jack) and Mr. van carried a selection of knives that included a scout, a stockman, couple of two blade serpintine jacks.

Then there was dad.

He always seemed to get by with ease, in a sort of inconspicious way, with that little peanut and afew do-dads on his keychain. Not untill I was much older did I appreatiate the subtleness of the techniques he used to deal with the little problems of life.

All too often we undereastimate the little guys. Be it a knife, car, or gun. I think the peanut is alot like that, underestimated because its so little. Never mind that you really don't need a very large knife in a day to day situation. It's the old guy with the penknife phenominon. They just knew what the wanted to do, and how to go about it. They didn't need anything big.

Well, I'm in there with you guys. I got one and wasn't sure whether i thought it was too small or not.but I wanted to find out. I did. its been my EDC for almost 2 months...does all its needed for. :thumbup::thumbup:

My one gripe with the size though is its so small in my pocket, I can't feel it there... so back pocket carry like I'm used to makes me constantly think its gone. It sinks to the bottom of front pockets, and not only feels gone, but is harder to get at(especially sitting). But I'll get used to it...

I feel for ya... as many times as I have wondered(panic basically) if I've lost it, I can't imagine the pain of actually doing it. :eek:

G.

I picked up my first peanut about a week and half ago. I bought it online at the same time as a sway back jack. I frankly had buyer's remorse with the peanut and figured I would dump it soon after they arrived. However, I somehow fell for the little knife! The cutting power is amazing for its size! It has half-stops and great walk and talk to it. There is no way I am getting rid of it now. In fact, I am looking around for another one with some variation in it as a backup. I am hereby a Peanut nut, too!

My one gripe with the size though is its so small in my pocket, I can't feel it there... so back pocket carry like I'm used to makes me constantly think its gone. It sinks to the bottom of front pockets, and not only feels gone, but is harder to get at(especially sitting). But I'll get used to it...
G.

With a small knife like a peanut, put it in your right hand pants pocket, and put a bandana on top of it to keep it from falling out. :thumbup:

When I carry mine, it's usually in the watch pocket of my jeans, or occupying the space below my wallet in my left front pocket.

Back