Absolutly sick to my stomach.....

As said above until you talk to Auntie all else is speculation...
Sorry this happened, but when working in the primative conditions that these are made it's bound to happen from time to time....good luck and hope this works out to your satisfaction..

This is terrible, I know the warranty only follows the original owner and we don't know the whole story but this should be replaced and I'm willing to bet it will be. However even if worst comes to worst and auntie wont help you at least Karda offered to fix it for you which shows good business and good faith.

Sorry that this happened and the circumstances surrounding the event! On second look, are you sure this AK Bowie was an older production? From what I can remember, the older production models featured more "square" looking handles and the newer production models featured more "curvy" handles. In fact, I have one of the newer production models myself and it looks exactly like that. However, I also know the "very old" production models had these types of "curvy" handles, so perhaps you got one of those. Perhaps you can contact the person who sold you the blade to find out more info? I am curious as well.

Truth be told, if I had been lucky enough to snatch up one of the "very old" production models (unmarked usually came from Sgt. Khata and before that way back in the days, none of the kamis put their marks on the blades), I would be too hesitant to use it. I am glad you put the blade to the test, however, and used it like these blades were meant to be used.

Last edited:
Well It was made before they marked them UB, and the HI stamp is the only thing on it. I wanted the AK Bowie as a User and this one was a beast. It justscreamed "Use me"! I work with kids at a military school and the kids in my Barracks have been all through the HI websight with me, facinated that the Kamis can do the kind of work that they do with the limited tools that they have. I personally believe that it is almost offensive to not use them after all the work that they put into them. "Im not dogging collectors, this is just my personal feeling, as these knives almost want to be used" My comment in my first part of this post that "I might not buy more HI products" I regret as it was more of the money/irritation thing. I dont make or have much cash any more, since I was forced to retire for medical issues. Working with these kids has given me a new lease on life and all the camping, scouting, and such makes them so happy. I use my knives hard, and I have two donated Cold Steel SRK's that I loan to the kids as well as a few cheapis, and they use them to death. I dont loan my personal knife out though as I am always helping them, and teaching. But its not anyones fault that this broke, it was just a flaw in the steel. I am shure that this could have happened to any forged knife. Hopefully I am right in saying that.

Is it the play of lights or is there a different tone on the side that has chipped off? seems to me that it is a steel issue.

dbyue.jpg

i think its just lighting in my kitchen. That and the chip is missing a bit further down the blade. But I'm not 100%

Is it the play of lights or is there a different tone on the side that has chipped off? seems to me that it is a steel issue.

dbyue.jpg

It is likely a play of the light in the photograph.
Any speculation that this is a steel issue is merely that....speculation. Even my own opinion may be wrong.
The only way to be sure is to send it in to Auntie or myself for inspection.
The warranty clearly states that for replacement to occur, the item must be sent in for inspection. This is at Aunties discretion, of course.

I have flipped and mirrored the chip against the color tone and the play of light happens to be the same shape as the chip. It is not exactly the same sloping gradient since the one without the chip is the right side where as the chipped picture is the left and it has a slopping gradient. I had to do a flip but the color tone seems to where the chip is. this is just a speculation but it is quite coincidental. I have brought from uncle bill before and is not against anything. Just sharing an observation.

cRaQ8.jpg

dbyue.jpg

I unfortunately do not have the software to circle for you the spot in the steel

It does look to me that there is something going on in the exact spot that the blade chipped in the second photograph, but due to the graininess of the photo, i can't be sure what it is. It does not automatically mean that it is a heat treat problem. As this is a secondary market item, who knows what has happened to it between the time it was purchased and now?
The fact remains that H.I. does not warrant the items after they've left the hands of the original purchaser.

Indeed, buyers should keep a lookout for flaws on the knife especially on a used item which has no warranty. A rust like that could have been easily spotted unless it rusted after it chipped. badasp118 if you have the chipped portion, you may like to send it in too.

this sort of thing is exactly why Yangdu is in Nepal right now.... someone screwed up the heat treat
that does not look fixable via sharpening, unless you want a half inch shorter blade and know how to apply a heat treat yourself

So she is in Nepal trying to figure why there are so many issues as of late?

The two pics. One you can see grind lines near the edge, recent 'pinged' photo you can't. Also, it seemed more convexed in recent photo. Possible overheating by edge reprofile?

Not accusing the poster, I sympathize with his problem, often time with HI products in the secondary market we can't notice changes done cause handmade items often all don't look exactly alike to enable us to notice inconsistencies/anomalies.

So she is in Nepal trying to figure why there are so many issues as of late?

That is only part of it....
She is there to stress the fact of the absolute need for quality craftmanship..... quality over quantity, fit and finish and better quality control. Also there to look for a supplemental business manager to accomplish this, since pala is old and needs to retire.
To look for new talent and the possibility of Kumar and Sher (the tiger) coming back. It will remain to be seen. We welcome them, but in the end it is their choice.
She is there to address the need for moving the shops, to provide better conditions for working and safety from Maoist gangs.
This isn't an easy venture by far and the need for her presence there to resolve issues was iminent.

Well I can assure you if you inspect it, the edge had never been sharpened and it was pristine other than some horn shrinkage. The previous owner was a collector. Looking at it when I bought it the finish was perfect with no flaws. I still believe it was just the lighting. I spent so much time holding it and examining it I would have noticed anything funny.

That is only part of it....
She is there to stress the fact of the absolute need for quality craftmanship..... quality over quantity, fit and finish and better quality control. Also there to look for a supplemental business manager to accomplish this, since pala is old and needs to retire.
To look for new talent and the possibility of Kumar and Sher (the tiger) coming back. It will remain to be seen. We welcome them, but in the end it is their choice.
She is there to address the need for moving the shops, to provide better conditions for working and safety from Maoist gangs.
This isn't an easy venture by far and the need for her presence there to resolve issues was iminent.

Too bad we can't just move the smiths and their families over here to the states. Hell, I would be willing to trade a bunch of no talent, never worked a day in their lives us citizens for those hard working good people from Nepal, especially with these guys with talent and their families!

Shoot, we could run it like a swap. We could even trade 1000 to 1 on the ratio (1000 lazy never worked Americans for every Kami). I would not even have to leave my home area (might have to raid out side the city, but definitely not outside the county).

Give them citizenship (government gives out a certain number for "exceptionally talented" type people, and I would suggest we need more people like the Kami's and their families, than we need any more baseball or other sports players, or musicians etc etc.

The best part, is they could just use factory 5160 steel and no concerns about steel source or inclusions etc (not too expensive to buy direct from the factory).

It would be nice if they were here to make Kuks, better steel, better conditions, and people that care about them..... I still dont know what to do with this, its chipped far enough back I think it will have to be re heattreated to ever be right again, plus I think it will ruin that awesome profile.....

Have there been many quality control issues as of late? I just recently ordered my first blade from the HI website.

I feel your pain. The timing is unfortunate as Auntie Yangdu is away but doubtless she will fix it when she gets back.

There's the fine print on the warranty but HI to my knowledge has never let that stand in the way of doing the right thing when a customer has honest issues with one of their khukuris. I don't have an AK bowie in my collection or I would send one to you in the meantime to hold the fort until Auntie Yangdu gets back.

It would be nice if they were here to make Kuks, better steel, better conditions, and people that care about them..... I still dont know what to do with this, its chipped far enough back I think it will have to be re heattreated to ever be right again, plus I think it will ruin that awesome profile.....

Welcome:)

I wouldn't say that there has been a GROSS amount of QC issues. Like Karda said, it's a period of flux right now. Pala, Yangdu's father, does an incredible job. However, he is reaching the age where it might be best for him to enjoy his golden years and not worry about the stresses and pressures of running the shop. That's not even taking into consideration the increasing harassment of the Maoists.

It'll get worked out:)

Well Im shure Auntie will treat me right. Shes a great lady to deal with......... I just dont think this will be fixable without a re-heat treat, etc. The sad thing is it had not been used before I got it and I know people break things to get them replaced, but I would have happily used this thing for ever! I was so impressed with it......

Back