Acceptable Number of Serrations in a Working Knife?

If you were looking for serrations in a working knife what would be the ideal amount of serrations to have? Is 50% the best amount? Would less than 50% suffice if the folder were a large one? I'm assuming here that at least some of the blade should be plain edged for tasks requiring it such as scraping, etc.

Can a blade be serrated anywhere other than just the at the beginning? Can you have a blade that's 33% plain edged followed by 33% serrated in the middle and then plain edged to the tip?

Acceptable amount of serrations? ZERO!:D I just don't like them.
NO flames please... this is just my opinion. I have two knives with serrations, and I find it a pain in the keester to sharpen them. Since these were the first two knives that I bought, I have not obtained a serrated one since.

Serrations are useless, i hate them, there is no point in them, those 3-4" folders that have 50/50 are even more useless, there arnt enugh serrations to cut anything with so whats the point? A good plain edge with a few passes over a coarse stone to give it some micro serrations will cut through things like rope just as well. and its alot more hassle free to sharpen.

0% works best for me, too.
I don't buy partially serrated knives anymore. Much prefer a recurve in a working knife.

On most blades I also prefer a plain edge over serrations.I still do carry a fully serrated Endura or Military most days for cutting tough materials. I think Spyderco's serrations are the best and most functional of the production knives that I have owned.

Back