Accepting Credit cards at shows????

Could you guys that have accounts to accept credit cards at shows, share some info on what is needed to do to acquire this capability.
Do you use pay pal virtual terminal and if so could you tell me how that works. What is needed to report the customers account for payment, etc. Is it done through a phone line, do they furnish a card swiper, if so what is needed for it to work.

If someone wants to contact me personally about this please e-mail me at camper@yhti.net.

Thank you very much,

Bill

jdm61

itinerant metal pounder
I have been wondering about this for my Belgian trip. I am looking into the possiblilty of using PayPal either through a laptop either with a cell card or wi fi OR maybe just using an iPhone in the same fashion:D Let us know what you discover. With that said, I did see some folks using what I belive was a cellular card swiper at Blade.

I accept CC at shows. There are a couple of different options you have.

You can buy a hand held CC swiper that is wireless and prints a receipt, cost is about $600-900.

You can get an account set up and basically make a phone call that takes you through an automated system and asks you to punch in the CC # and other info.

I have a third option. I have a CC swiper that plugs into my cell phone. I have a java based program that I run and it prompts me to enter the amount, swipe the CC and it gives me an authorization #. I just write that down, knuckle bust the receipt over the CC and have the customer sign it, and off they go with their knife. The swiper was $250.

Here's the part that will help you decide. If you get a machine that lets you swipe the card you pay 1.7% in fees for the transaction. If you have to manually punch in the CC# like with a phone account you pay 3% for the transaction.

I only accept visa and mastercard and the account costs me $5 a month for the service not including transactions.

You have to have a business checking or savings account for the money to be transferred into. I have a business savings because the business checking had a monthly fee of $10 a month.

The unit can pay for itself after the first sale and it's great having it because many people are impulse buyers. They can also put it on their CC and pay it off at their own leisure or keep their wives from knowing they bought it.

It's easier than running around at a show looking for someone to run a card for you.

This is the company I went through http://www.onlinecreditcard.com/

A little off subject of Bill's questions, but I would imagine these days a maker's ability to accept credit cards at shows and even in general is almost required to maximize sales.

Good old cash can work quite well for both collector and maker, however there's the obvious dilemma associated with it.

A little off subject of Bill's questions, but I would imagine these days a maker's ability to accept credit cards at shows and even in general is almost required to maximize sales.

I know for sure that if a couple of sellers would have accepted a CC at Blade I would have bought a couple of more knives. As a first time visitor to Blade I made one crucial mistake and that is that I expected the banksystem to work as if in my own country. That was not the case so I had to rely on my two CC's to buy and that was much more difficult then expected. So to all makers...if you want my business right at your table you have to have CC acceptance.;):D

Marcel

Thank you very much Chuck, I'll have my wife check into it as you posted, sounds like a good way to go.

Bill

I just recently acquired a CC machine, and by some strange coincidence, in five years I have never once had someone ask me if they could pay by CC, the day after I got it, I sold four knives via CC.

I am eager to take it to a show to see if more people choose to pay via CC......we have been fortunate to have sell out shows for the last three years so, I don't think it will affect sales necessarily, but perhaps might allow a customer who would other wise not have bought from us, go ahead and buy. Having as many options to accept payment is always a smart idea!

Anyway, I went through our bank, leased to own a machine at 19.00 a month, with zero monthly service fees, and 1.95% transaction per swipe, 2.1% manual entry. Took about three days from ordering to receiving the terminal, no programming fees,and have it up and running. Be very careful to read all the fine print about fees, length of contract, early termination fees etc. It can add up quickly!

Tanya

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In 2007 we didn't have C/Card access at Blade, and had about 60/40 cash and checks.

In 2008 we offered C/Card access and did about 60% by this alone. Folks like to save the cash for KNIVES!

Coop

braillediver

Gold Member
If you could get online access at the show you could accept PayPal via a credit card. 3% fee.

Don't know how everyone feels about PayPal but it could be an easy and in expensive alternative.

Mitch

The paypal virtual terminal could be used but not everyone owns a laptop. It's now another thing to bring and keep track of at a show. What if you don't have internet access? What if your laptop gets lost in your luggage on your way to a show or if your battery dies at the show?

I would rather swipe a card and pay 1.7% than 3% on every purchase. That 1.3% adds up over the course of a year's worth of sales.