1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Accidentally water-quenched medium carbon steel

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Curse The Sky, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Curse The Sky

Curse The Sky

Nov 4, 2015
    I had a piece of 4140 slip out of my tongs and land in an ill-placed bucket of water. I had drawn it out to about 1/8" thick, and the overall piece was approximately 2" x 8", fairly flat and uniform. It was bright red / orange when it went in, and the bucket was deep enough that it fully cooled to a hand-safe temperature before I could fish it out.

My hope was to turn it into a small leaf spring for a hardy tool, or at least experiment with it. I heated it back up to normalize it, for what it's worth. I couldn't see any visible cracks, but I also haven't cleaned any scale off yet. Should I bother working the piece anymore and hope for the best, or is it likely a lost cause?

It's not an expensive piece by any means, and I don't have a ton of time into it (mostly the time involved in drawing it out from a round bar), but I'd love to salvage it for something if possible.

2. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    It’s probably ok. I would heat it up again and draw the hardness out if it. Then clean off the scale and check it. Normally we would water quench thick sections as oil was only good up to a inch thick or so.

3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I don't think 4140 will make much of a spring.

Drew Riley likes this.
  4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You would be better with 5160.

4140 is normally quenched in water, BTW.

Drew Riley and Ken H> like this.