Acquired Becker BK1: Edge = Yeesh...

RealDeal said:
Well what do you expect, you get what you pay for, you aint gonna get no Terzuola for that price, you are speculating and its only worth most likely less than you paid, good for a throw away yes?
I expected a knife with a symmetrical grind just like all the other Becker knives I have, including the less-espensive Combat series knives.

Worth less than I paid? Perhaps on paper at Camillus and the seller. I'm sorry, i don't know what Kelly Blue book value is for a NIB BK1.

Throw away? No. I don't know what realm you roll in, but none of my Beckers are 'throw away' knives. I use my knives, and try not to abuse them with the intention of enjoying them for a long, long time. And maybe I'll pass them down someday to someone. I do have some other knives I could 'afford to lose,' but I would call them throw-aways. Me pockets ain't deep.

Bob Ter-who-la? Never heard of him. Har har! Actually met him once at a show. Nice guy.

Codger_64 said:
Here is an example of a Schrade XT2B which I acquired. For those who aren't familiar with this knife, the handle was installed upside down.

No, the handle was installed correctly...It's the blade that was installed upside-down.:D.:D.

Whoa! I almost forgot about this thread! I've been working on the knife - little here, a little there. All I have is some polishing to do. I used the angles on the Sharpmaker as guides, and have used files and a number of different stones to create the new edge. Not quite finished, but it is better than it was.
BK1001.jpg

BTW, when you first recieve your blade, it has a layer of grease on it right? Before using it for the first time, do I remove the grease or do I leave it on the blade?

I don't know of them having grease on them, unless maybe they do that for overseas shipments? I know we get imports of tools and such that have grease on them.

If yours has grease on it, then go ahead and clean it off, try soap and warm water first, sometimes they use vegetable based grease and it comes right off. Harsher petroleum chemicals might affect the black finish.

Do I need to remove it first? I heard from the guy whom I buy it from that it is alright to use it with the grease on it as the grease is to protect the non-black resin area of the blade.

I'm sure you can use it with the grease on, if you really want or need to. Using the knife with the grease isn't going to hurt anything. It will allow shavings, small particles, and possibly even dirt to stick though. If i am going to store the knife a while before using it, I leave the grease on. Otherwise, I remove the grease before using the knife. After use, I try to somewhat clean the knife up and wipe it down with a Sentry Solutions Tuff Cloth.

And all my Beckers (new) have come with grease smeared across the blade edge.

i have just purches 3 beckers and they all have supurb edges as far as a factory edge goes. I have 5 more coming so I will update when they get here. The problem I have found is very few companys put the the proper edge angle (including becker) for maximum sharpness and edge retention. Its nothing a few diamond stones cant fix in an hour though.

My Brute was sharpened in a so/so manner also. I bought it a month ago, last one in stock around here.

I'm not sure, was thinkiing of getting a diamond sharper for my BK1 blade. Most probably will just keep my brute very sharp, not doing and profiling.

Do you have other knives now? If so, what do you use to keep those blades in shape? You can most likely use the same sharpening tools on the BK1.

I currently have a SAK and a Leatherman TOOL. I use a normal sharpening stone o sharpen them, but am not sure if it works on my BK1

Well I guess my BK1 was sharpened well enough to do some work. I whacked the wings off eight ptarmagin today with little effort. After that I grab the chest feathers/skin and rip it apart across the chest to expose the meat. Then I give them a little poke with the knife just above the anus, push my thumb in and pull the chest meat out. These birds are thick across the chest. I keep the hearts also. I like this knife.;)

Back