ACRYLIC KNIFE SCALES

Ordered a sexy hot set of ACRYLIC handle scales withthe intent of having a new JK made with them. I have a couple questions for John and all you forum guys.
John: will you work with acrylic?
Guys: What do you know about acrylic as knife handles?

thanks!

I know that GEC and other traditional brands will use them, but they are on lighter duty slip joints and not on their fixed blades. I would feel safe in presuming that this is due to their comparative brittleness (compared to stabilized wood and micarta) and being slippery when wet since most acrylics looks best when brought to a high polish.

That being said, I feel that the most grip comes from a better ergonomically designed handle and roughness is only an attempt to make up for an ill designed handle shape. Kabar/Becker knives use smooth grivory handles, but they are nicely shaped, so even when covered with oil, you can stab a stump repeatedly and be fine.

A lot of Johns knives are the same, with a high polished wood being of no detriment to grip, but still lacking hot spots. Though just about every wood out there is either inherently tougher than acrylic, or stabilized to aid in the toughness catagory.

Thanks for the reply, NJBillK. I do agree with the idea that the shape and ergonomics being more or at least equally important than the "slickness" of the handle material.
Any other comments on Acrylic scales is appreciated.

I think as long as you don't beat on it, it should be fine for a knife handle.
What color(s) did you order?

I don't know exactly what acrylic you ordered, sounds interesting- I'd love to see the scales, I've used Kirinite a few times and love it. It polishes and buffs brilliantly while providing a decent surface to grasp. It is somewhat flexible and works very easily.

I don't see too much of an issue using acrylic. It won't take a beating like micarta or G-10, but it should be fine.

Buck started off using acrylic way back when - they seemed to hold up - I suppose there are different kinds of acrylics though.

best

mqqn

SNOW WHITE WITH SWEET GUM SEED PODS FLOATING IN 'EM.
Mind posting a pic?
I have always liked the peculiar look of the sweet gum balls. Same goes for pinecone and corn cob.

I ain't got no pic privileges.

I used to tell my kids those seed pods were Martian eggs until one of them said "Dad, those are sweet gum seeds, I looked them up in one of your books" at that point I knew that Santa Claus was done.

Back