Action or Looks?

Between two otherwise identical knives, which would you choose?

• The better action

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • The better looking covers

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read your question Jeff - and to be honest- the looks mean a lot to me - not many people collect ugly knives.
NYK Co, Challenge, Schrade, Empire etc all make outstanding looking knives- the Aesthetic value imo rates very high because take for example the the types of Bone Jigging, Shields, Swage Work initially used for helping clearances - but we all love the actual looks of them as well - big time!

So your question I haven’t been able to clearly answer because I like a knife that has a fairly soft pull and I like a knife that has a hard pull that I can pinch open, a good walk and talk I really appreciate BUT - for just one example, if the Handles are Stag and they are unmatched quite unevenly ( and there’s a few out there ) I personally wouldn’t use the knife because looks do mean a lot to me and that knife would bug me personally.

On the hand having a knife with bad Blade play is totally a no no - so I am stuck in the middle here my friend- I think so am extremely divided in the middle - which doesn’t help you at all ( hanging my Head in shame).

Only nine responses so far, but I'm shocked. I'd have bet any amount of money that if I put two knives up for sale, with similar pictures, and fully describing the difference in the actions, that the prettier one would sell first. Maybe I'm wrong . . .

I think you're right, actually, in terms of the first impulse (the looks) driving a purchase. I've jumped all over knives that were 'pretty' in the seller's pictures, only to regret it later for some other reason, such as poor action or just not practical in terms of size or heft, some of which I won't be willing to carry or use. And I've learned to despise pretty knives with overly thick blade grinds, especially. I've wasted a lot of money on knives like that.

I'm always reminded of the proverbial 'lipstick on a pig', when I think of pretty knives that otherwise don't function well. Those are the ones I'll always regret buying, over the long run.

And if you do get a beautifully functioning knife with less than perfect covers, there's still the possibility of having it re-covered to your liking at some point. It could be done at much less cost than asking a craftsman to completely fix all the mechanical flaws in the same knife, if it's even possible to do so. Sometimes it just isn't.

Last edited:
Let's get some ogling going on in this thread. These two arrived today:

48925334187_9f60f5b26d_z.jpg
48925334192_8a428ffba3_z.jpg

Very similar, both very attractive. I happened to prefer the left for both it's visual aesthetic and action. Again, both great, but I preferred the left one with the golden yellow giraffe look over the rotten banana look on the right. And the action on the left knife featured a slightly firmer pull. Both have nice snap. And even with this much hair splitting between two nice knives, there was a clear pick for me.

Depends on the problems with the covers and the problems with the action.
I have sent back Traditionals that didn't have the quality of handle advertised (color very weak) yet it had decent action.

If the action problem is something I can fix then I might keep it but if it is something I can't fix like pathetically weak spring(s) I have sent that back.

One of my to die for knives, cover wise, had bad blade wrap; I kept it and fixed it.

Just depends.

Last edited:
the other has the better looking covers (coloration, grain, etc.).
After ruminating I would have to say if the one with the better covers had adequate action; weak springs but still closed with a bit of talk and stayed closed safely and opened with a bit of talk and wasn't loosie goosie I would keep that one to get the better scales.

I'm not a connoisseur of heavy pull / hard to close .

much hair splitting between two nice knives, there was a clear pick for me.
I see what you mean. Initially I went right for the one on the right but then started to do a double take on the left one and thought . . . hey that's got some nice presence too !

Looks also count to ( at a guess ) 99%, because if you look at the old knives thread etc where there are all these stunning knives being displayed- rarely if ever does someone ask about the action of the knife- but they will always comment on it how the knife looks, so looks are most important is what I’m trying to say - yet Charlie raised a very good point in the TC thread - it’s about the workings of the knife - looking back on History and improving on the quality of the mechanics.
The TC’s just happens to be damned fine looking too - so they too are split down the middle because they have looks and action! :eek:

if I put two knives up for sale, with similar pictures, and fully describing the difference in the actions, that the prettier one would sell first.

they will always comment on it how the knife looks, so looks are most important is what I’m trying to say
This isn’t really a fair comparison, since we’re still benefiting from the sense of sight in sales threads and other knife photos, while relying on a description for the action. A more fair comparison would be to describe the the action AND the looks, relying only on the poster’s written words to make a decision - no pics. I think we would all agree that the best decisions are made with the actual knife in hand.
I love old Case knives and I like new Case knives, but there was a period when Case was making some beautiful knives that felt like a weak handshake, and I just can’t abide by that.
Anemic action sinks reputations.

Last edited:
Similar, and I say similar, to polling for your significant other. How many of us are going to choose the trophy over the one that does everything on the daily basis that makes one’s life more enjoyable? Not me. Function over form everyday of the week when considering either. Sometimes you get lucky and get both....

This isn’t really a fair comparison, since we’re still benefiting from the sense of sight in sales threads and other knife photos, while relying on a description for the action. A more fair comparison would be to describe the the action AND the looks, relying only on the poster’s written words to make a decision - no pics. I think we would all agree that the best decisions are made with the actual knife in hand.
I love old Case knives and I like new Case knives, but there was a period when Case was making some beautiful knives that felt like a weak handshake, and I just can’t abide by that.
Anemic action sinks reputations.

I think I have a fair point, and I respect your opinion and welcome it, what I am trying to say is the decision of using a knife that works really well, compared to a Knife that looks really good, but not so good on the actions of the Knife?...... a point to be taken- if a Seller is selling a Knife- and describes it as absolutely perfect in actions etc- but posts no photo's? - people are going to want to see what the knife looks like!
You are not going to shell out a lot of money for a knife you know works well- but sight unseen - that would have to be a RARE knife if that's the case!

People say- actions over looks anyday- and I agree- to a point!

Because it cant be so clear cut yes or no answered , Imagine a nice Deep Red Jigged Bone 85 E/O, ( talking about a super popular knife ), and the actions of the knife are perfect - BUT.... the dyeing didn't turn out so great and the Knife was really Pink in Colour? That would put most people off - Im not arguing with you or anyone else as I have read all contributing comments, but I think I have a substantial point that looks do count, there is great reasons as to why so much money is spent by the Manufacturers on Bone Jigging, different Handle materials etc to contribute to the looks of the knife - Market history will flat out tell you LOOKS MATTER in the selling of a Knife.

I think - ( again to a degree ) that looks do count in the purchase of a knife in most cases. To all who have stated the its the actions that count most- guaranteed they will not have a draw full of ugly knives.

I absolutely love Knife actions that are good- Loathe a Knife with serious Blade Play - and no matter how good the Knife looks- I wont buy it if the Blade play is bad - so I am like everyone else when it comes to knife actions, I just find it hard to believe that its 100% one way or the other - I suspect in most of the cases that it is a combination of both - a happy settling on both looks and actions.

I hope I don't rile up anybody, and don't aim too in any way but I honestly believe there is a mix that exists in the Major percentage of knife users.

Last edited:
Let's factor in Stag to the equation:D Now tell me looks don't turn your head ;)

If the action is weak, yes it deserves to be binned but there again, a lot of people seem to like soft weak spring knives- see how often people extol the virtues of pinching it open or some EZ-Open eyesore notch :D;) I've only ever had one knife that needed pliers to open it and that was no looker either..my fingernails&fingers are strong.

Back to looks, really subjective: a man says this woman is beautiful & attractive, others just can't see it or are appalled:D With the recent issue of Eureka Camelbones, quite a few people disliked the alleged cracks etc even though Camel shows this feature more and generally has bigger pores than Bovine scales. Some were a bit disappointed by lighter colours and asked for opinions, they got a variety of responses. Myself, I liked the lighter coloured ones, looked like the fabled Primitive Bone or Mammoth :cool:

Finally ;) if it's at least 5 pull and reasonable snap then looks count, if it's under 5 it's not under consideration - unless you want an ornament. Looks are important, Traditional knives are certainly more beautiful and rewarding to look at and handle than Moderns, on that we can all agree.:)

I agree that both looks and action are important.
But if one is slightly better looking, and the other has slightly better action, I'd choose the action... as long as we aren't talking extremes.

Case in point...
I love the GEC #66 Calf Ropers. It's such good looking and classic knife. Also, dark black ebony is my absolute favorite cover material. You put the two together and it is absolutely stunning (to me). However, due to the horribly weak pulls and 'snap' on the secondary blades, I find myself hardly ever carrying this knife. I'd trade it in a heart beat for a less attractive sample with good action.

Crappy picture but you get the point...

This survey make me question keeping a nailbreaker I received a couple of weeks back. This knife confirmed my feeling that I find much more enjoyment in using my knives than just taking them out of the drawer, looking at them, and putting them back. Another one for Action.

This survey make me question keeping a nailbreaker I received a couple of weeks back. This knife confirmed my feeling that I find much more enjoyment in using my knives than just taking them out of the drawer, looking at them, and putting them back. Another one for Action.

Interesting, but which knife is it?;)

Keep the one with the sharpest blade ;)

Voted covers. In my opinion the standard deviation of actions between otherwise identical GEC models is less than the standard deviation of GEC natural material covers. For micarta my choice would be action, but I rarely do micarta. Working a little Quick Release Oil into the pivot will help make GEC actions within the same run similar.

For me this isn't really an either/or issue. It's a combination of the factors.

No matter how perfect the action, I couldn't bring myself to carry a knife I find unattractive. Conversely, no matter how beautiful, I wouldn't want to carry a knife with too hard or too soft a pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back