Actor needs advice for replica circus throwing knives from 30's or 40's

Hi! My name is Kevin Sean Ryan from Denver, CO. I am an actor and will be doing a role as "Lance Cutlass" a knife thrower. The part is set in the 1930's or 1940's and I am looking for some advice as to how I could get some knives that would look the part. I realize originals would probably be priceless, but a good replica would be fine. Or, could I buy something new that would look the part. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Kevin

I think most of the knives thrown by performers were custom-made to tailor to the thrower's preference. I'm no expert on throwing or throwing knives but from the pictures I've seen of the old-time exhibition throwers, their knives don't look like much more than knife-shaped pieces of steel with crude handles. It stands to reason that they would be since throwing knives is bound to result in their destruction and it would be best to make them cheap and simple. If you have a prop master for your production, I'd ask him to research some reference pictures and have a fabrication shop cut out some blanks for you. If I had the time, I could torch out a few pieces, rough grind them, and hand them over in a couple hours so I don't think any reputable shop would charge an arm and leg for something like that. Once you have the blanks, it would be as easy as wrapping the handle area with some rawhide or gluing on some wood-slab handles. Your end result should look like these, I'd wager:
tumblr_mlpxdv96Kj1s8kdbro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhcbbdv9G71rji37fo1_500.jpg

If you just want to buy them, the knife in the link posted above looks ok but you'd want to strip the black finish off and add some handles. Best of luck with your search, feel free to post pics of what you come up with.

Lance Cutlass? That's a great name.
You've probably got your knives by now, but if not I would suggest something big and shiny like the Rough Rider Arrowheads. Cheap, too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the replies. Unfortunately, although I was cast as Lance, I was unable to do the film because of my schedule. I appreciate all the advice and offers to help - you guys are great. Here is my imdb page
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3657747/

Back