Adding a Bottle Opener to Benchmade Anthem and Spyderco Para 3

I have a little Victorinox Executive knife with a bottle opener on my keychain, but it would more accessible to just whip out my EDC lockblade knife and use the bottle opener on it--if it had one.
View media item 3331View media item 3332I have a Benchmade Anthem, which uses CPM-20CV steel for the blade and has a handle machined out of a single block of titanium. Following the opener pattern on my little Victorinox, I sawed, filed, and sanded an bottle opener into the handle. I was concerned that the titanium would be too soft, but in cutting it, it felt about as hard as mild steel. I've used this for a few months and have not observed any wear of the titanium. The custom anodizing is a bit worn.
View media item 3333Following the success with the Anthem, I worked on my other favorite EDC, a Spyderco Para 3 with the best blade steel ever used on production knives, CPM-S110V hardened to RC 62 (update: more like 63-64). This has a steel frame with blurple G10 scales. It was easy to cut, file, and sand into the steel and G10. I just did this mod tonight, so time will tell how well it holds up.
View media item 3334

Last edited:
Definitely not a mod I would ever do, but you did a good job on it. The Anthem looks like you got it from the factory that way.

If I was opening bottles often, I’d consider doing that. I wouldn’t have the confidence to grind up a couple hundred dollars worth of knives though. That said, they look good! Good job!

I can just use the corner of the handle to pop a bottle top no prob.

You have some balls, but it actually looks ok.

The earlier Manix LW was around 62 HRC, but the Military and PM2 are definitely harder than that.
I've remember reading somewhere (Jim Ankerson ?) that these were in the 63-64 HRC range.

Thanks, that is where i read it as well,

S110V - 1120 - Manix 2 - 62 RC - Regrind to .005" behind the edge.
CPM S110V - 1080 - Spyderco Military - 63-64 RC - .020" Behind the edge

Thanks, that is where i read it as well,
S110V - 1120 - Manix 2 - 62 RC - Regrind to .005" behind the edge.
CPM S110V - 1080 - Spyderco Military - 63-64 RC - .020" Behind the edge
Ah, yes. RC 64 it is (or at least I want it to be :)).

If I was opening bottles often, I’d consider doing that. I wouldn’t have the confidence to grind up a couple hundred dollars worth of knives though. That said, they look good! Good job!
Thanks. Ya, I was scared when I started. But my philosophy with my gear is to use it, so I went for it.

Can open bottle easy with the spine of the blade... But hey if that's what makes your life easier and you feel you need it then good job. I always applaud whoever got the balls to mess with their expensive knives.

Last edited:
Can open bottle easy with the spine of the blade...
I've done that with the Anthem a few times. I stopped opening bottles with a lockblade at other people's houses when I sent a cap flying across my wife's friend's kitchen. She thought I was a bit crazy.

A SAK or a Church Key will do it better and cheaper than modding.

Even one of these for .50

hr_keychain-bottle-opener-black.jpg

But more power to you for machining a cut out.

Last edited:
Back