adding pocket clip to Tomcat

I recently purchased a SOG Tomcat 3.0. I really like this knife and, contrary to many opinions I have read, do not find it too heavy for pocket carry. However, this knife would be the perfect pocket knife if I could change one thing: the addition of a pocket clip. Any ideas on how this can be done?

I would say you would need to change the scales to micarta or G-10 and from there it would be a fairly simple operation if you have the right tools.

Sending it to a knifemaker would be your best shot at a nice professional job.

There are fairly thick steel liners under the kraton scales. Wouldn't I be able to use the liner without changing the scales?

There are fairly thick steel liners under the kraton scales. Wouldn't I be able to use the liner without changing the scales?

A pocket clip for the Tomcat 3.0 with Kraton is possible. I remember STR, of the Knifemaker's forum did one but there were obviously problems and compromises.I suggest that you ask him for advise tackling this task.

Not to get you off topic but I have a couple of leather sheaths with clips that I use for my larger slip joints.....just an idea. I find them quite handy.
Tc

Clarytja,
The leather sheath seems like a good idea. Maybe better than the pocket clip. I am not a fan of the nylon sheath that came with the knife. For one thing, it is bigger than it needs to be and the knife sort of slops around in it. Another is that the velcro makes a very loud sound (drawing uneccessary attention) when opening the sheath to get the knife. I am thinking about one of SOG's leather sheaths I see on their website under accessories. Maybe I will try the large or medium.

Back