Adding tritium to folders

I asked about this on the spyderco forum, but thought it might get more response here. How would one go about doing this? Where could I get tritium? Thanks

------------------
"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today"
-- James Dean

-Jesse Foust

Thanks again Walt. See my reply in the spyderco thread

------------------
-- James Dean

-Jesse Foust

BTTT

Can someone who has done something similar to this tell me how it is done? Thanks

------------------
-- James Dean

-Jesse Foust

I happened to get a tritium button from an online auto dealer. I replaced the firing button on a Pro-Tech coil fired auto knife. I also saw once or twice, someone selling buttons, that looked like they had been put together by hand. The tritium came in little (1-2mm)glass capsules(since tritium is a gas)and was super-glued into little grooves cut into the button's surface. I guess that a watch maker could hook you up with some of these. I have no idea where or who to check with. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Daniel D.

You would still need at some point, get the vials from a NRC licensed dealer. Perhaps one such dealer sold a friend a number of vials, but to try and find such a source would be problematical.

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, which is a gas at room temperature. The tritium is in the form of tritium dioxide (just like water, except that the cations are tritium, not hydrogen). Putting tritium gas into glass vials would just be inviting radioactive leakage, as the tritium atoms are so small. Walt

I was planing on using something besides tritium, because of the difficultly in getting it. I just wanted to know how to remove material from the handle to put it in. Hope this clears up the inquiry. BTW, ditritium oxide, not tritium dioxide, would be like water. I'm sure it was just a typo, as you seem to know alot about the elements, Walt.

------------------
-- James Dean

-Jesse Foust

Back