Additional Motivation - Kith / Build Along?

DustinY

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Anyone up for something of the sorts? I'd love to do a build along that was patterned. It would be so cool to see us all finish a knife that was patterned the same.

JT would be able to assist with that I think? Either way, post some ideas here.

I like the idea. I'd be in if it comes to fruition. Either we could get blanks from JT, or just settle on a common pattern from someone like DCKnives and see how close everyone comes to it.

Anyone up for something of the sorts? I'd love to do a build along that was patterned. It would be so cool to see us all finish a knife that was patterned the same.

JT would be able to assist with that I think? Either way, post some ideas here.
This one ............... :)
rUqxT3u.jpg

I'm in for anything, lets get something going!

It seems like KITHs tend to generate initial excitement, then nothing happens for a while and two or three weeks before the deadline, people either drop out or start making a knife. Maybe a build-along with predefined milestones and a time table (profile, bevels, heat treat, handle or similar) could keep procrastinators like myself on track. I am still very much a beginner and have not participated in a KITH, but would like to join if beginners are allowed and kitchen knives are ok.

It seems like KITHs tend to generate initial excitement, then nothing happens for a while and two or three weeks before the deadline, people either drop out or start making a knife. Maybe a build-along with predefined milestones and a time table (profile, bevels, heat treat, handle or similar) could keep procrastinators like myself on track. I am still very much a beginner and have not participated in a KITH, but would like to join if beginners are allowed and kitchen knives are ok.

This has kind of been my experience as well, and i document the process for I.G so it's not hard for me to upload that process to whatever forum. I'm up for anything, just looking for something new, or some motivation.

Love the stuff that's come up, but we'd be on the best path to allow beginners i think.

Dustin, I read your initial post again and you mention a build along that is patterned. Is the common pattern an important aspect to you? I think everybody making the same pattern might be limiting. Take the pattern Natlek posted. I think it's cool, but have very little interest in making a knife like that.

We did a knife maker's challenge a couple years ago.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/knifemakers-challenge.1587062/
It was supposed to be a Kris style blade, but otherwise was open to interpretation. I found it pretty fun. I also liked seeing different approaches rather than a fixed pattern.
That was funny adventure , thanks for reminding :thumbsup: My brother steal it from me :D
You know what , when i see this topic .... https://bladeforums.com/threads/blade-of-woe.1740855/page-3#post-20048738 I hoped you would challenge us....I still hesitate to give it a try... :)

Ha, that blade of woe is more like a dare. I finished profiling today and cutting 0.75" material is just ridiculous. Of course you are welcome to give it a try, might be interesting to see what we come up with...

You know, what could be done is a WIP, with the person doing the WIP being the "leader" and everyone else participating could follow along, duplicating the steps.

Given the appropriate amount of time, maybe a week? between each step, everyone could keep up and post pics of their progress.

Of course all the participants would have to agree that no body would skip ahead or anything like that, agree on general materials, forged or stock removal etc...

If someone was willing to take the lead, I'd join in on something like that.

If it was a design that could be done via stock removal (or better yet, something forgeable for those with a forge but still possible via stock removal for those without) I'd be interested in joining in.

You know, what could be done is a WIP, with the person doing the WIP being the "leader" and everyone else participating could follow along, duplicating the steps.

Given the appropriate amount of time, maybe a week? between each step, everyone could keep up and post pics of their progress.

Of course all the participants would have to agree that no body would skip ahead or anything like that, agree on general materials, forged or stock removal etc...

If someone was willing to take the lead, I'd join in on something like that.
I would participate in a group WIP/build-along as well. How about just general rules, e.g., blade length >3", no paracord "handles" etc.? The first step in the WIP could be everybody posts the design for the knife they are going to make. Doesn't have to be in CAD or anything, just a sketch, or even a picture of a previously completed knife if somebody wants to make a pattern they've done before. I think getting feedback on the design would be helpful, at least to me. It would also up the commitment to actually building a knife a bit. Posting "I'm in" is easy, especially if the deadline is four months in the future. Posting "I'm in and here is what I'm going to build over the next six weeks" takes a bit more of a commitment.

No way I can understand why people give up after entering in KITH, perhaps only health problem I can understand. No time ??? After all if we don’t count HT time it take two/three hours to make knife ................

I'm in for literally anything, the only reason why i mentioned a pattern was because (selfishly) i'd love to see how we all approached the EXACT same design. I understand that interest would be much less for something like this though, because the style would have to appeal enough for the participants to want to actually participate.

No way I can understand why people give up after entering in KITH, perhaps only health problem I can understand. No time ??? After all if we don’t count HT time it take two/three hours to make knife ................
Heat treat and waiting for epoxy to settle take the most time.

This is just one possible suggestion, and I would be happy to follow a different path if you guys prefer.
There has been a long discussion in the General Knife Discussion subforum about the American classic Randall knives.
They are still sought after today although there is currently a 6 year wait for new orders.
A tribute to that style could be interesting.
Generally, there are several common features, some of which I have never tried.
-thick 0.25" stock, hollow grind.
-sharpened swedge
-brass guard
-stacked leather handle
-steel pommel
Some real Randall knives are made from O1 steel, but we could use anything...

I'm tempted to try one this year in any case.
Thoughts?

hmmm i should finish that kris blade, shouldnt i.

i think it would be cool to do a build a long , maybe not a kith per se, but it would be cool to do these for knifemakers focusing on a specific style...like a 4" loveless drop point, or a scagel, or some other iconic type. you can enter , maybe even have a vote open to all of bladeforums once the knives are complete, similar to the "best bowie" kinda threads in the custom forum. that could be helpful on many different levels.

Back