Adjustable or not?

I have noticed that some of the higher end spydies are adjustable. The eccentric pivot pin so to speak found on the chinese Lum, vesuvius,salsa etc.

How much of an advatage would this be over say a FRN knife which is not adjustable?
Would an adjustable pivot pin give rise to longer lasting knives or would this tempt ppl to loosnen or tighten it oo much?

Is there such a difference in price between the two that the cost to the FRN kives would rise to the point that they are unaffordable?

Sorry for so many questions. I don't post much but when i do it is in bunches

I prefer the adjustable pivot screws as opposed to the rivets myself.

It helps that over time when it comes loose you can just re-adjust the tension to your liking. People will tighten and loosen their knives as they please...I'm sure everyone has preferences as to what they feel is an adequate amount of tension...

A fellow forumite said that the riveted Spydies can be tightened by hammering lightly on the pivot pin. I tried this on a Native that had very slight looseness and blade-play and it did not work for me. I may have been hammering it incorrectly (if thats possible) or something but I was too scared to bang on it any harder for fear of breaking it.

Not sure if I actually answered any of your questions....but thats as far as my knowledge will take me on that!!!:D

***Okay I got it all wrong, going back to bed for a couple days more sleep. Be back Thursday.***

The special eccentric pivot pin aside, using screwed pivots vs. rivetted pivots is a matter both of cost and reliability. Screwed pivots are more expensive, and less reliable (hypothetically), but they allow easy disassembly. Rivetted pivot pins are more reliable and less expensive, but only the factory can disassemble and reassemble them. It is a performance/feature tradeoff.

Originally posted by Carlos
The eccentric pivot has no application to compression lock knives

Huh? I thought the compression lock models also had eccentric pivots. Or am I just crazy in thinking that I adjusted my Gunting trainer for wear?

My Gunting trainer has been beat to heck and the blade had some play. I adjusted the pivot pin and now it locks up tight as ever.

Spyderco currently makes no linerlock knives with FRN handles

Actually the FRN Cricket is a linerlock.

The eccentric pivot is not adjusted the same as the simple tightening of the pivot screw. It requires partial disassembly of the knife.

The eccentric pivot is on the higher end Spyderco knives such as the Vesuvius, Lum Chinese (I believe), etc. Basically, the function of the pivot is not to correct horizontal blade play (which you would just tighten the pivot) but to correct vertical play. With the correct technique, the eccentric pivot basically moves the blade towards or away from the locking bar thus correcting vertical wear and play. The eccentric pivot is fairly easy to adjust, however I'm not going to list how because I've heard it will void your warranty.
Matt

Originally posted by Jazzman
The eccentric pivot is fairly easy to adjust, however I'm not going to list how because I've heard it will void your warranty.

It works like a charm. I've adjusted the eccentric pivot on my Starmate and Vesuvius and they lock up perfectly with no play in any direction, but should anyone attempt it and goof up, you will have voided the warranty.

Originally posted by Carlos
Rivetted pivot pins are more reliable and less expensive, but only the factory can disassemble and reassemble them. It is a performance/feature tradeoff.

Is this to mean that a riveted knife, used properly all it's term, can be returned for a repair? Is it even worth it? (My Endura costs only around $50.00)

Is there a charge for this service in the event it is an acceptable thing to do?

Back