Advantages/disadvantages of chisel grind

My opinion of chisel grinds is that the only advantage to them is that they are easier to grind. The percieved sharpness of chisel ground edges is entirely due to the smaller included angle that results, and potentially the thinness of the secondary edge bevel, if there is one. The same cuttnig efficiency can be acheived on a V-ground blade by ensuring that the edge is ground equally thin, with an equally thin secondary edg bevel.

As Cliff mentioned, the ease of sharpening of a chisel edge can be applied to a V-ground blade by simply shaprening it on only one side. Emerson does that on their v-ground blades, or used to, and I think it works very well. They are easier to sharpen, and have almost no tendency to cut in circles as chisel grinds do.

As far as which side the bevel of a chisel ground blade should be on, that depends on whether you are right or left-handed. I find that with the bevel down, it is difficult to judge the angle of a cut. This makes the right side of the blade the correct side for right-handed people and the left side the best for left-handed people. The Army may not be able to tell the difference, but I can.
wink.gif

Harv

I have a question regarding tactical knives. I have a CQC7 along with many other folders (Stryker, AFCK, Endura etc). Exactly what design qualities must a knife have to be considered a Tactical knife? Tanto blade, minimum leghth, edge design/geometry etc? For example, a Benchmade AFCK is knife of good quality, ATS-34 blade, G-10 scales, titanium liner lock but is not considered a Tactical folder. I'm trying to educate myself by collecting bits and pieces wherever I can. Thank you.

TerryR

Yours is a tough question,as most everything today is called "tactical", or at least wants to be. Regardless of design, you can use the "three B" rule: reasonable Blade lenght, Black handle and Beadblasted handle! Anyway, you can often see "tactical" designed knives made with most any material like Damascus and pearl and ivory. Are these still "tactical"? I don´t know. let´s see what the other guys have to say.
Best regards

Ivan

Tactical knives are a trend that do not really have a set definition. Some would say that folders are not tactical at all. I would look to Emerson's CQC6 or 7 and some of Terzuola's knives for some of the origins to the tactical folder. Titanium liner locks are common although new locks are emerging, black G-10 scales and sometimes micarta, often black-t blade.

There is no real definition because every company is turning out "tactical folders." I would say a reliable knife which you could use to defend yourself (if you're attacked) and in the most desperate measures as a survival tool.

Check out the CQC6 on Emerson's page www.emersonknives.com because many say that this is the knife that started the tactical folder revolution.

Jason

Well to me the word tactical is one of two things. It is either a politically correct way of saying fighting knife, which most folders fail at do to design or construction weaknesses, or is just a phrase for "looking like it is loaded with testosterone" as my wife would say. If you consider the former the definition the CQC6 is perfect example of why folders fail. The grind is too steep, the chisel is too asymetric to slash but the blade is too short to stab. Also there is no guard if you do thrust, and the but pokes you in the gut if you wear it IWB. Really a poor design and execution with quality control. However, if the latter definition is correct then it shines as symbolism over substance reigns supreme with this one.

I personally love my CQC6 and have owned several other handmade knives from different makers.

In my opinion, the chisel grind is not too steep and the knife is very sharp. I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about with asymmetry of the chisel grind, but the knife is excellent for slashing.

The butt never pokes me in the stomach IWB but I don't have a gut and I think the clip mounting gives a very positive index when pulling it out. The butt shape allows for a quick transition into reverse grip if necessary.

As for the blade length, it is true that you could fit more blade into that knife. I've examined the spacer in the handle. Nevertheless, the 3.25 inch blade is definitely adequate for stabs. The knife is very quick and discreet and the thumb ramp and bolster provide a secure grip for stabs. As for the handle, I like it much bigger than the blade because of the control and good grip it gives me.

There have definitely been improvements on the Tactical folder design. Take the Kasper fighting folder for one. I love my CQC8, too which has a huge handle and but has a different grip with a guard.

To me, the CQC8 and CQC6 are two different types of fighting knives with different subtleties. Nevertheless, more often than not it is the user not the knife. Knifefighting is quick not powerful. You won't be stabbing as hard as you can, completely tensed up trying to stick your whole arm through a person. It's light and quick, you let the knife do the work.

The CQC6 can be a great tactically, even without it's guard or short blade. The CQC8 is more of a pure fighter, but if you're skilled the CQC6 can be great. It's just whatever someone is more comfortable with. The tactical knife really comes down to the knife you will carry every day to defend yourself.

Jason

Could you tell me what the CQC6 is? In the circles that I hang with and the magazines I read, I only see the CQC7 mentioned. This forum was the first I've heard of the CQC6. I checked out the Emerson Web page, but it only mentions the CQC7. Thanks.

There is a picture of the CQC6 under Handmades at the Emerson knives website.

Several years ago (early 90's), Emerson was approached by the Navy to design some folding knives and the requirements were that there had to be some prying capabilities and the handles had to be large enough to be used with gloves. Emerson came up with six designs and the Navy thought the sixth was the best. So they ordered a number of these knives.

The CQC6 is supposedly the knife that started the tactical folder revolution and is one of Emerson's most popular handmade knives. It has a 3.25" chisel ground satin finished blade, beadblasted titanium bolsters and liners and micarta (green) handles although variations exist such as titanium blade or black G-10 or black micarta scales or different serrations on the bolster.

It retails for $500 but Emerson's 2 yr. suspension of custom work to set up factory halted production. In three years I have seen them sold from $600-$1100 dollars. The knife is immensely popular and some of the hype must be due to Dick Marcinko's Rogue Warrior series where he uses the knife.

There are a lot of awesome knife designs which utilize the same materials out there today but I still like the CQC6 above many others. Many handmade makers have even copied the CQC6 down to blade grind and bolsters with a slightly different handle but they do not feel the same.

Hope this helps,

Jason Yang

Well I still have to disagree on the CQC6. I guess thats why there are so many options out there. First of all at 5'10" and 149lbs I don't have much of a gut and it still pokes me there. It is the only folder I have that does, and many of my more practical fixed blades don't. Also I feel that 3.25" is insufficient penetration to reach the vitals. That is why they picked 6" for the Appelgate/Fairbairn. Also the handgunners harp on PENETRATION and they mean alot more than three inches or the mouse guns would be condidered quite good. Also, if you like the purchase you have with stabbing which that knife you might try buying some kevlar gloves and stabbing it hard into a dummy fighter and then into something harder like you might encounter on someone (I use a wood post). But please don't try this without the gloves because unless you have increadible forearm strength they may need to reatach your fingers! I feel that the deViliers Operator II, or the Harsey built A/F folder are better folding compromises but that is just my personal preference.

Dear Coyote,

I'm really glad to hear your opinion. I first saw the CQC6 at a show several years ago before I started really buying knives. It seemed to fit my hand very well.

It's good to hear other rational and well thought out perspectives that rise above the hype or just plain slamming a knife.
BTW, DeVillier's knives are definitely underrated for such great pieces.

Jason

Back