Advice For A Basic Filipino Solo Baston Video....

I am looking for a video that would cover solo baston twirling,strikes,figure eight,and other concepts of how to put different strikes together...building up to being able to flow on my own since I want to really learn how to move with my stick and build up Carenza practice on my own.

I have seen a few videos and none of them taught this type of instruction.I am Looking for something comparable to the Single Stick Doce Pares video by Thomas Sipin. This was very nice at teaching a single form but the problem was it taught only a 5 min section and one form and I am looking for more information so I can start moving my stick well on my own.

Anyone know about Kelly Worden's Solo Baston Videos?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me

One of the videos in Bobby Taboada's Balintawak series covers some of the ground you asked for, but now I cannot remember which one...:eek:
However, I would say that what you need is Krishna Godhania's video, but not the one he put out for Budo International, but rather the one available from his web-site.

I'll see what's up with Krishna's video...Im guessing maybe a solo baston video?

Anyone else have any recommendations that might help? I've viewed a few videos,but they never really cover how to move the stick....they tend to jump into drills and blocks,counter strikes and follow ups.

This link to Tuhon Bill Magrath's site- www.pikiti.com has a couple
of pretty good video's on Pekiti Tersia's five attacks and double stick.
They will give you a pretty good idea of stick flow and angles, and basic footwork.

Respect, Cameron.

BTW, in both Krishna's and GM Taboada's videos what you are looking for is referred to as Amara... Maybe that could help with your search. I just remembered, few years ago Paul Vunak was advertising a series of videos by Tom Cruise, one of which was entitled Carrenza, maybe that would have something for you, although I would not know, as I haven't seen it.

Yes,Thanks, Amara and Carenza are the terms for what I am trying to do with my stick training.If that is the case then the videos you have mentioned might be of great help.
Very few videos teach this due to time factor of the video(or might not sell well...boring?) I would say.Vunak would say,Flow is called Carenza..bust a 2 min. Carenza and then never teach or mention anything to do with it again.Vunak is notorious for showing how good he is(and he is good) but never really teaching that well compared to other videos I've seen.

Oh Killer Kane, that link goes to a sight in spanish and not the PTI sight anymore.

FWIW and though many may discount his style, I have always been impressed with the single stick work and video of A.J. Advincula for Panther Videos. His style, stems from a very old lineage in the Philippines and can be traced back to one of the most venerated Filipino fighters in Luzon. The video covers the basic Cinco Tero which is the root of many older systems found in the Philippines and a method used with success by fighters in the Philippine Alamo Scouts and Filipino 1st Infantry in World War ll. The Kalasay Kuntao Silat single stick work of Roberto Torres for Unique also offers a sensible look at single stick work and seems to garner basic movements from the various styles he has experienced.

Matador-

Right!!! I completely forgot about Advincula's single stick video. Now, that might be exactly what our friend here is looking for... The video is quite long (something like almost 2 hours if I remember correctly) and there is an entire form demonstrated, and quite a long one at it. Personally, I am not too fond of the way he moves, but that again, l no one says you have to do it exactly the same.

What isn't said in his video and probably should have been explained is that the sliding of his feet and his movement, is a specialized style used for fighting in muddy terrain, usually a rice field. In Ilocandia we call that style "liyok saka". Often times you will encounter mud knee deep where you can't move at all and you must fight from a stationairy position, or else in very slippery terrain where one has to invert his feet, especially when fighting down a muddy slope to mainitain balance and to keep from falling down.
Matador-

Thanx for the clarification. Still, my dislike is with regards to his general rigid posture and movement, even in the upper body. I guess it comes from his extensive Isshin ryu background... Anyway, his videos are still fine. In fact, with all those Panther production rapes on sales everywhere on the 'net, they might even be the best "bang for the buck" package.

You said "basic" so here are two very good basic tapes:

Tuhon William McGrath's Five-Attack Sub-System tape shows, for the most part, various ways that you can attack in combination off of the four diagonal strikes.

The second "Footwork" video from the original Dog Brothers series is also quite good. It has a nice discussion of the "Saw Tooth" and "Exploded Star" footwork patterns and puts it all together in a carenza at the end of the tape.

I'm sure that there are other good basic tapes but I think that these two in combination may give you some ideas for the kind of carenza that you envision.

In addition: try googling "Leo Gaje" on YouTube and click on the link for "Date Added"; you'll get some great clips of GT Gaje demonstrating some combinations on various clips.

Finally: Panto Flores demonstrates some Filmocan single stick on the following URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXz9h6PD4hY

Best,

Steve

Before you spend money on videos, I would suggest you try combining parry and attack with a single stick simulating combat against multiple opponent so you really have to move out of line from the trajectory of your imaginary opponents attack and doing counters at the same time. Theres no right or wrong and set pattern in carenza; Just express yourself and be one with your stick. In this way its just free flowing rather than static and glued with set pattern. The key point is try to imagine you are in a combat situation against multiple opponent attacking from every angle (front,side,back).Just try it and you will love it :)

Back