Advice for a Newbie

jb33

Gold Member
I've backpacked and camped for 20+ years but I am fairly new to the world of handmade knives. I always used a couple Moras, Benchmades, Swiss Army, etc. until about a year when I discovered Fiddleback. i'm still pissed at myself for not diving into the world of handmade knives earlier but, better late than never. A couple weeks ago I started looking at Osprey Knives and was hoping to get a recommendation on a model or two. Primary uses are camp, backpacking and food prep (I am not a hunter). For reference, the current knives getting the most use are Fiddleback Bushfinger, Arete and Handyman, Bark River Mini Aurora and a larger Survive GSO. Any advice is appreciated. Also, what is the difference between an Apache and an Apache K? Thanks.

You'll probably want an Apache or a Hunter. They're very similar and the difference is where the tip of the knife ends up. Once you know what to look for, they're easier to discern. They both have a drop point but the Apache tip drops more, if that makes sense.

The Apache has a bit of a guard. The Apache K is a variation Chris made to be more suitable to Kitchen use. It is a guardless model so you can use the entire cutting edge and the handle was moved up just slightly for more hand clearance. That being said, it is certainly capable in the woods, as a skinning knife, for EDC if you're ok with the size, and so forth.

Chris does outstanding grinds on his blades so even my 5/32 Hunter is a slicing machine. Either of these models would come in 5/32 or 1/8, Chris usually always does tapered tangs and usually does CPM154. The handles on the Apaches and Hunters just melt into your hand.

edit: You might want to also look at the Warthog or Guardless Warthog.

I'll try to come back here and drop some links and pictures for you when I find them.

Hope that helps,
Jerry

The Apache fits in between the Fiddleback Bushfinger and the bigger Fiddleback Hunter in a size comparison. I recently picked up a 1/8 tapered tang, high grind Apache. I keep saying, "Wow" when it's in my hand. It far exceeds any Bushfinger I've owned in ergonomics, balance, sharpness, craftsmanship. The FB Hunter is just too big/bulky for my taste - I have one, but I prefer to carry smaller knives partnered with a tomahawk.

As with any of Chris' knives .. you will get a much more finished well made knife than other makers. He tends to spends more time in the quality of his work and not quantity.

Ok, you might want to check out this whole thread but specifically in Post 66 (click for link) there is a picture. The nice part of this thread is that @pertinux does a great commentary and compare of the models.
Top to bottom in that picture are:
OKT Hunter, FF Bushfinger, FF Bushfinger, OKT Apache, FF Asp, OKT Raptor, FF Handyman

For quick reference:
IMG_2143.jpg~original

These are all OKT's ...
Top-down Left side on this pic:
Hunter, Hunter, Raptor, Mamushi, Mamushi
Top-down Right side on this pic:
Apache, Apache, Warthog, Warthog, Warthog, Warthog
OKTBatchbyModel20161031-vi.jpg

Here's a good one where they proportions aren't skewed ...
2v29dHeMLxAKujh.jpg

And finally, a Warthog vs Guardless Warthog direct comparison ...
2v2uWGNs4xAKujh.jpg

@Osprey Knife & Tool Hey Chris, I meant to ask you; Are these two a typical comparison? The Guardless Warthog appears to have a shorter handle and a longer blade than the standard Warthog. I think OAL is the same but there just might be variations in each one individually. I just don't want anyone to assume the Guardless Warthog always compares this way.

Thanks,
Jerry

Thanks to all for your suggestions and information. That Apache looks like an awesome knife. Love the look on the CPM 154 stainless too. The Apache K with Blackwood on the Outpost is calling my name! Thanks again to all, everyone is most helpful.

You'll probably want an Apache or a Hunter. They're very similar and the difference is where the tip of the knife ends up. Once you know what to look for, they're easier to discern. They both have a drop point but the Apache tip drops more, if that makes sense.

The Apache has a bit of a guard. The Apache K is a variation Chris made to be more suitable to Kitchen use. It is a guardless model so you can use the entire cutting edge and the handle was moved up just slightly for more hand clearance. That being said, it is certainly capable in the woods, as a skinning knife, for EDC if you're ok with the size, and so forth.

Chris does outstanding grinds on his blades so even my 5/32 Hunter is a slicing machine. Either of these models would come in 5/32 or 1/8, Chris usually always does tapered tangs and usually does CPM154. The handles on the Apaches and Hunters just melt into your hand.

edit: You might want to also look at the Warthog or Guardless Warthog.

I'll try to come back here and drop some links and pictures for you when I find them.

Hope that helps,
Jerry

The Apache fits in between the Fiddleback Bushfinger and the bigger Fiddleback Hunter in a size comparison. I recently picked up a 1/8 tapered tang, high grind Apache. I keep saying, "Wow" when it's in my hand. It far exceeds any Bushfinger I've owned in ergonomics, balance, sharpness, craftsmanship. The FB Hunter is just too big/bulky for my taste - I have one, but I prefer to carry smaller knives partnered with a tomahawk.

As with any of Chris' knives .. you will get a much more finished well made knife than other makers. He tends to spends more time in the quality of his work and not quantity.

While I am first and foremost a fan of the OK&T Raptor in all its configurations, I agree with Jerry and Bud that the Apache is a great all around choice for all the reasons they mentioned. I have owned multiple examples of all the other models you mentioned. All but one are gone now. I am keeping my “K” Apache with the taller guardless blade. It is a fantastic knife that is very light and nimble for its size due to the thin CPM 154 with Chris’ super-duper tapering.

(L to R: “K” Apache, “K2” Raptor, Tusk)

i-cmRj6Js-X2.jpg
[/url
]

Solo shot of the “K” Apache

i-Rmq4WJc-X2.jpg
[/url
]

Please keep us posted on your thoughts once you get an Osprey knife of your own.

Phil

Warrior108 Warrior108 Comprehensivist Comprehensivist what FF compares best to the Warthog’s size?

Hey Luke,

The Warthog is comparable in overall length to the Hiking Buddy (as Warrior108 Warrior108 's chart above points out.) The blade height is taller on the Warthog and the handle shapes are noticeably different between the two. The are some good comparison photos on page 3 of this thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/osprey-k-t-comparison-photos.1416998/page-3

I hope that helps.

Phil

Great info in here guys.

J jb33 I don't think you can go wrong. I've tested Chris' heat treatments pretty thoroughly. Pick a model in 1/8 TT or 3/32 TT that looks like a nice configuration and you'll be set. I'd say a (K) apache, Raptor, (K) raptor, would all do the trick for you.

I do most of the same things you do (bushcraft, fire, camp cooking, etc) and all with a warthog and it suits me just fine. A little bigger and you'll be in business.

Hey Luke,

The Warthog is comparable in overall length to the Hiking Buddy (as Warrior108 Warrior108 's chart above points out.) The blade height is taller on the Warthog and the handle shapes are noticeably different between the two. The are some good comparison photos on page 3 of this thread:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/osprey-k-t-comparison-photos.1416998/page-3

I hope that helps.

Phil

Yes indeed! That is exactly what I needed for the visuals. Way back almost two years ago it was the Warthog that grabbed my attention and I started to talk to Chris about making a mini warthog. That being said, it’s been so long since I looked at the model that I forgot what size it was.

I’m pumped to get in on the pre-order!

I can't thank everyone enough for the time and effort into these postings. I just purchased the (k) Apache from Fiddleback Outpost and will keep everyone posted on my thoughts. I don't think this will be my only @Osprey Knife & Tool purchase!

Back