Advice for making finger guards

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on making finger guards. I have seen to ways of doing it so far. Some people cut a ~1/4 inc thick piece of guard materiel and simply stack it in the hidden tang and shape it with the handle. i have also seen what seems to be people making the guards separately, finishing them, then adding them on. Anyone have any advice on how they make theres, or no of any good tutorials?

I already read Bruce Bump's amazing guide here
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/659442-A-couple-tips-on-hidden-tang-construction

you mean a brass or nickel finger guard like on a hunter?
here are rough overview notes I use, you can develop your own
I've only done a few and I don't think it's that simple :)

Brass Guard Notes

1) Cut metal blank

2) Cut middle slot , file to fit

3) Cut notch in knife blank, use abrasive saw or wheel

4) Check fit

5) Saw/trim finger guard

6) Use template to shape sides

7) Flatten, finish sand both sides parallel

8) Silver solder

9) Soap/water brush clean

10) Scrape off solder

e8a3ae9d355a6ededc0ba3d225534213.jpg

72423ed83ca70b6645846c4582d22449.jpg

9a29f84c6a80ef03943e5744f9f8d5c0.jpg

68de6987fe559c1c3938c789dd425878.jpg

fea041a755c333dadac41efc60d66c70.jpg

0fce31d45bebcd0f43096a713fb80e51.jpg

Last edited:
And then do it a dozen more times so u can be proficient at it. :)

This was the first time I did it so it wasn't the most elegant

Of course if you have a mill then things are much easier for the slot

Others here have alot more experience and can add to this better than I can.
sorry for the giant pics...

84f9a5834337f8f88796d8cd772b4a25.jpg

8e663b591efb5d4bef6ad7dc2d015d21.jpg

9d12822c3350789c97480d406a2df4ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The WIP shown covers the basic method.

It can also be done with a slotted guard on a hidden tanghandle. If doing a hidden tang, use a piece of the same metal as the guard for the bolster shown in the photos. You may even need two or three pieces to get sufficient material for a good curve. Also, make the tang only wide enough for strength, as you can easily grind into the tang pocket when shaping the finger curve into the guard. Obviously, keep the tang hole/pocket as snug as possible along the bottom area where the groove will be.

Many makers use a contrasting piece of thin metal between the bolster pieces for contrast. This makes the joint easier to make look clean.

if you want a seamless fit ( running your fingernail over the jiont and not feeling any bumps) i think you need to shape the handle and guard at the same time.

At what temp does that silver solder melt? Would have to be low to not affect temper of blade, I'm assuming?

I am sure it is the standard low temp "silver bearing solder". Most flows in the 400-450°F range. It does not affect temper.

^^^ this!!! yes... drill and pin if you want to be able to adjust each piece individually and still have exact fit up.

OP: do yourself a favour and watch "Wheeler's steel, stuck in the metal" It's a WIP on here and you'll learn a lot from a master artisan with clear well documented pics. I would dare say everyone on here that has read that entire thread has learned at least something from it.

^^^ this!!! yes... drill and pin if you want to be able to adjust each piece individually and still have exact fit up.

OP: do yourself a favour and watch "Wheeler's steel, stuck in the metal" It's a WIP on here and you'll learn a lot from a master artisan with clear well documented pics. I would dare say everyone on here that has read that entire thread has learned at least something from it.

i second that! Epic Thread

Back