Advice needed: chopper/machete for fishing

For a machete I really like my fiddleback production. It's a great light weight vegetatation clearing tool and priced very competitively. I use mine around the house all the time and don't worry about accidentally hitting a rock or nail

If you can not find a light Chopper from CPK
The fiddleback Forge machete rocks!
I have a 12 and 16 inch that is always getting used.
Very useful tools

Last edited:
If the LC is not available, I vote for the Fiddleback machetes too. The blades are from El Salvador and sharpened to a sharp convex edge by Fiddleback Forge. The handles are hand made by Andy Roy, and they feel great in hand. I have a 12”, 14”, and 16”. The 12” is slightly thicker. I think the 16” might be better for clearing vegetation, but may be more difficult to pack.

Last edited:
I got this from Fiddleback Outpost, they have them on sale for $99.
https://fiddlebackoutpost.com/products/fiddleback-forge-machete-field-knife-version
These are real machetes. They're made from 1075 steel, with proper and traditional machete heat treatment performed by craftsmen in El Salvador. Fiddleback Forge has designed the handle to give protection for your fingers that just you won't find on most machetes. This allows us to bring the edge all the way down the blade, so the knife can do bushcrafting chores, such as notching with ease. In addition, the khukuri style bulge in the handle allows for chopping with the hand in two positions using varying amount of wrist snap. We currently carry the Machete in 12” and 16” blade lengths. The 12” model has a 3mm thick steel blade that is tapered from edge to butt, while the 16” model is made from 2.2mm thick steel.

Like all Fiddleback Forge Field Knives, this machete is a "mid-tech" production version that features precision, pre-machined parts hand assembled and tooled by the Fiddleback Forge artisans to produce a knife engineered for hard work.

A top quality, leather sheath with belt loop is included.

I got this from Fiddleback Outpost, they have them on sale for $99.
https://fiddlebackoutpost.com/products/fiddleback-forge-machete-field-knife-version
These are real machetes. They're made from 1075 steel, with proper and traditional machete heat treatment performed by craftsmen in El Salvador. Fiddleback Forge has designed the handle to give protection for your fingers that just you won't find on most machetes. This allows us to bring the edge all the way down the blade, so the knife can do bushcrafting chores, such as notching with ease. In addition, the khukuri style bulge in the handle allows for chopping with the hand in two positions using varying amount of wrist snap. We currently carry the Machete in 12” and 16” blade lengths. The 12” model has a 3mm thick steel blade that is tapered from edge to butt, while the 16” model is made from 2.2mm thick steel.

Like all Fiddleback Forge Field Knives, this machete is a "mid-tech" production version that features precision, pre-machined parts hand assembled and tooled by the Fiddleback Forge artisans to produce a knife engineered for hard work.

A top quality, leather sheath with belt loop is included.
Thanks! :thumbsup: I already saw that and passed it on. (Seems the 14” is either temporarily unavailable or discontinued.)

I would take a look at the Huntsman Fell Beast! They are IMO reasonably priced ($350) I believe! I have 2 of these on order-17.5 inch machete made of 3V Steel, or 52100 for ($250)! They are .110 thick! I had a chance to use a friends "Grass Machete" and came away impressed:thumbsup: If it matters to you, they are also made in the U.S.A.! Good luck;)
EDIT: Just saw Hunter was offering a 12 inch Model in (3V) for a hundred dollars cheaper-Here is the thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fell-beast-pre-order-52100-3v-closing-5-15.1567136/

Last edited:
I would take a look at the Huntsman Fell Beast! They are IMO reasonably priced ($350) I believe! I have 2 of these on order-17.5 inch machete made of 3V Steel, or 52100 for ($250)! They are .110 thick! I had a chance to use a friends "Grass Machete" and came away impressed:thumbsup: If it matters to you, they are also made in the U.S.A.! Good luck;)
EDIT: Just saw Hunter was offering a 12 inch Model in (3V) for a hundred dollars cheaper-Here is the thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fell-beast-pre-order-52100-3v-closing-5-15.1567136/
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Really, thanks for all the great advice and info, everyone. Looks like it’s time for another entry on the “CPK folks are best” thread... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Actually . . . some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. It's just a long handle, kind of like an axe handle. With a long blade on it shaped kinda like a bannaner. Mhm. Sharp on one edge, and dull on the other. Mhm. It's what the highway boys use to cut down weeds and whatnot.

Last edited:
Although I much prefer to use the correct tool for fishing, i.e, fishing poles and such; I stumbled upon a really good deal on one of Andy Roy's FBF 12" Mah-Cheh-Tees and in a moment of weakness, I had to cheat on my beloved CPKs to go with a cheap(er) new thrill :D

You guys are bad enablers. Heck, I'm the worst enabler of the bunch :p

I would endorse the recommendations for a Huntsman machete - the 12” 3v model for $250, including sheath. His order books are open now although the machetes won’t be ready til the end of the summer.

If you want something high quality but a bit cheaper, the Fiddleback machetes are good. I have a 12” Fiddleback and a 14” Bark River that I’m going to put up on the exchange, if you have problems finding them in stock.

OK, so I received my 12" FBF Mah-Cheh-Tee from the Outpost. It sure is very purdy and in fact one of the most visually appealing shorter machetes which have gone through my possession. I could swear that the natural micarta handle scales are a dead ringer for our own CPK's unbuffed natural micarta handle scales ;)

The edge needs some work as it's uneven and dull in some spots and in fact very near to the tip, there's a very noticeable hump which needs to be smoothed out. Now I'm not complaining as Outpost had this on sale and I got it about 25% less than sticker (sorry boys, it's now showing sold out) but I'm just being over critical simply because I'm sooo spoiled by the edges I see from CPK.

For full disclosure, I still don't think that this machete or any machete will cause me to catch any fish :p

Back