Advice needed.

Hi guys. I'm looking at buying a production folder, up to around $200. The two manufacturers I'm thinking of are Emerson and Benchmade. I don't want a really big knife, I'm thinking around a 3 inch blade. Problem is that I've seen a few Benchmades, but no Emersons, and I'm wondering about how they compare as to workmanship, strength, feel in the hand. FYI though neither will very likely be put to very hard use, I like the idea of a hard-use knife. I'm hoping you guys who have owned or handled both can give me your opinions about them.

I think that the linerlock Benchmades and the Emerson productions compare very favorably to each other. They both seem to be built just as well and just as tough.

However, I've always loved the AXIS lock, so I've been a Benchmade man. If you like they Wave feature, jump on an Emerson.

Well you could get an 806 (4") then do the zip-tie "waving". Best of both worlds! :D

Umm, I like the Axis lock. Benchmade is a very good company. Not sure about Emerson.

What else do you like in your knives, and what kinds of work are you planning to do with them?

For a bit of sass and up to your limit, more or less

ben690.jpg

Or for a tough work horse and pretty pleasing to the eye model

ben551.jpg

well, i've got the benchmade in the left pocket (model 940) and the emerson (commander) in the right. the axis lock is very reliable but the wave is nearly indispensable. they are both excellent knives, but the emersons tend to be on the larger side.

Duane at www.edcknives.com has some VERY nice BM 705's with silver twill G-10 handles. The 705 sounds like what you are looking for. Here's a pic from his website.......

What else do you like in your knives, and what kinds of work are you planning to do with them?

Work? Very little real work. Opening packages, envelopes, light stuff, that sort of thing. I didn't say I NEED a hard use knife... :D just that I WANT one...

It's hard for me to describe what I like because it varies so much. Based on looks alone, the Benchmades are more appealing. I definitely want a one hand opener/closer, so lockbacks are out. A liner lock is fine with me, though I am curious about the Axis lock. If I get a Benchmade, it will certainly be an Axis model.

What I'm looking for is a strong folder, plain edge, probably satin finish, around 3". I'm not crazy about black knives, neither blade nor handles, though I wouldn't rule out a nice knife because of the handle color. I like Wharncliffe blades best; a nice drop point is fine, and I might even try a tanto.

artsig1 said:
Duane at www.edcknives.com has some VERY nice BM 705's with silver twill G-10 handles. The 705 sounds like what you are looking for. Here's a pic from his website.......

That is a beauty. And thanks for the link - I didn't have that one.

Actually I was thinking about the 960, though I'm not crazy about anodized aluminum handles.

Well,
I now have to vouch for the emersons. I really love the benchmade product, but I have a place for Emersons. I have beat on mine and babeid it. It is one tough little puppy. I edc a mini cqc 7b with the combo edge. From everybody I know that has carried and emerson and from what i know, its a tough knife.

Although, on opening letters, you have to be slow because the emerson has the chisel ground edge, which tends to pull in one direction.

Kickaha said:
Work? Very little real work. Opening packages, envelopes, light stuff, that sort of thing. I didn't say I NEED a hard use knife... :D just that I WANT one...

It's hard for me to describe what I like because it varies so much. Based on looks alone, the Benchmades are more appealing. I definitely want a one hand opener/closer, so lockbacks are out. A liner lock is fine with me, though I am curious about the Axis lock. If I get a Benchmade, it will certainly be an Axis model.

What I'm looking for is a strong folder, plain edge, probably satin finish, around 3". I'm not crazy about black knives, neither blade nor handles, though I wouldn't rule out a nice knife because of the handle color. I like Wharncliffe blades best; a nice drop point is fine, and I might even try a tanto.

Go for the 940! You wont regret it! :D

Yes, Iwantyourskull, I've looked at the 921, but I don't like the looks of that second blade - seems rather fragile from the photo.

Plumber576 said:
Well,
I now have to vouch for the emersons... Although, on opening letters, you have to be slow because the emerson has the chisel ground edge, which tends to pull in one direction.

I was thinking of the Police Utility model - that one has the V grind.

ChuckBuck said:
It's not a benchmade or an emrson, but a CUDA Dominator fits the description.

That is one cool looking knife, but it's kinda big for me. Here in WA the legal limit is 3.5".

The reason I mention it is... I picked up my "used" large sebenza for about $100 off the list price, but it was in new condition. I've seen a couple come by every month in the same price range. So I imagine a small could go for below $200, which was your price threshold. I don't own a Benchmade or Emerson, so I can't compare, but if you like sebenzas you could probably make it work.

Back