advice on a good firefighter knife

I just picked up the MOD Duane Dieter CQD. I bought it to use as a jump knife and all I can say is, AWESOME! Head to a gun show and try it out.

Get yourself a CRKT Crawford/Kasper FF. It's a very stout folder that won't "break your bank" if you lose it and have to replace it with another one. It opens easily and quickly, and carries deeply, out of the way of other gear. Also, due to the grip-shape, it stays in the hand very well, wet or dry.

Have you looked at the Spyderco Remote Release? I have carried this knife on my turnouts since I've been on the job (4 yrs.) and never lost it, broke it, or otherwise damaged it in any way. It has a clip on the butt end of the knife and is easy to remove and open with gloves on (it has a larger hole and wider blade). On my rescue belt I carry a Gerber Legend. The carbide cutters work great for cutting door chains and heavy wire and the Rem-Grit saw can cut through just about everything. In a few months I plan on adding a modified Strider BD to my belt with a heavy leather sheath. It should come in handy if I ever need to hack or pry away at something in close quaters were a Halligan tool won't work. While in the firehouse I carry a Spyderco Native just because it's comfortable and easy to use. I am also picking up an Emerson SARK come June at the Blade Show to replace the Native.

I just ordered an Emerson CQC7A that I plan to add to my firefighter's equipment.

I must say though that I'm not a professional and that the knife is unlikely to get used in a fire very often.

So I tried to choose a knife strong enough for one purpose, yet handy and vesatile enough for edc.

Any opinions ? :rolleyes:

If you can use a fixed blade, I reccomend a Busse. They are probably the toughest knives on the market, with a warranty that's the best in the business. They are great pryers, choppers, cutters, hammerers (pommel), and are just plain tough.

A Busse won't let you down :D !

Check out www.bussecombat.com if you'd like more info.

Been at it for 15 years, here's what I've learned. Andrew is right, if you can carry a fixed blade, carry a Busse. I carry an older Basic 3 (3" blade), inside a coat pocket with the kydex sheath tied into a grommet with paracord. No chance of losing it. IMO Busse makes the toughest knives going, and this is the the knife I'll be grabbing when it hits the fan.

I also carry a multi tool on my belt. This is the knife you loan to everybody at the station who says, "Hey, can I borrow your knife." It's also a good idea to ask what they need a knife for, the answers may or may not surprise you.

I carry a Sebenza in my pants pocket, never handed to anyone for any reason. Seen too many guys use a knife as whatever tool they need at the moment.

As an MOD CQD owner myself, I also thought of this heavy-duty folder but the "thick gloves" criteria got me thinking...the plunge lock is so recessed that I have trouble deploying it with my bare hands let alone with fireman's gloves on! I suppose the same could be said for a liner lock...how easy could it be to release a liner lock with heavy gloves?? You will have to close the knife at some point...

As a Spyderco Remote Release owner, I thought of that one too...yes, you could hit the lockback release with gloves but how easy would it be to hit the remote release button and use the opening hole??

Perhaps the ideal folder solution might be something with an Axis lock...it's strong and you can flick the knife open and closed by sliding the lock button open (I guess you could do this with gloves...am I wrong???).

The next question, is where would you carry the folder so that you could get at it through all your thick layers while wearing heavy gloves? I suppose the same question applies to a fixed blade.

RL

RL,I'm looking for a fb right now to hang upside down from my pack straps.The truth is there is no folder I have found that I can open with any regularity with my stiff,thick gloves on and to have to do it in the dark and under pressure,well good luck.

Thankfully most of my knife use is not during the knockdown of a fire or even at fires,so gloves are not an issue most of the time.Its the "what if"that bothers me though.I want a fb for self-rescue,if I get caught up in wires,or what have you.Last year 3 Syracuse ff almost died when a parachute that was used as decoration fell on top of them in a fire.They got all caught up in it,in the dark,not knowing what was trapping them,unable to move and running out of air.Other guys got to them and cut them free.

I guess what I'm trying to say is,I seldom need a knife in a fire,I can always take off my gloves and dig through my pockets for any folder,but if I ever do need one in a fire than I want one I can reach and is always "open".

Back