1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Advice on a new work knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CPM3V, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    A similar thread some years back called my attention to the Ontario Utilitac II.

[​IMG]

This is the one with the most stable point, I reckon, but it comes in a couple of flavors. For thirty dollars. Because although I love the 4Max (and Demko designs in general), $360.00 is more than a "wee bit" more. It's more than twice as much.

I see this happen with every suggestion thread, and sometimes you can hear my eyes rolling, right through the Internet. I shouldn't talk, because I don't do any better of a job at controlling my enthusiasm for the next "perfect knife" that comes down the pike, but we're talking about a tool that will get used to open a paint can, or scrape a sticker off a window, at some point.

Also, the Boker Strike. This was just the first configuration that came up in the image search.

[​IMG]

If you can find one, the CRKT Folding Razel might work.
    [​IMG]

Mine doesn't get terribly sharp (Columbia River's heat treat protocol strikes, again), but it's a knife you don't have to be worried about treating badly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    CPM3V likes this.
  2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Lots of great suggestions, but I'm gonna suggest a fixed blade, like someone else did.

For a looong time I had a Mora Companion hanging from a button on my pants, about halfway down the thigh, and it's just a great beater.
    Now, I would always pair it up with some sort of folder, but it was the main knife of my working day.

Good ergos, okay steel, and ridiculously cheap.

CPM3V likes this.
  3. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Either of these Cold Steel would be excellent work knives .

The orange handled one is an "Ultimate Hunter" and has a nice hand filling handle . Very ergonomic .

Both are the newest models , that now come in S35VN steel . Great , well balanced type steel .

[​IMG]

MolokaiRider, CPM3V and metaxasm like this.
  4. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    I don't have any experiance with CTS-XHP but I have a lot of experiance with s35vn which is what cold steel uses now and I hear they are very similar. Anyways the s35 I sharpen doesn't give me much trouble as I keep them very sharp but if you let it go dull it will be a little harder to sharpen. Still a lot easier than something like m4 or s110v.
    Heat treat plays a big roll in this as well.

CPM3V likes this.
  5. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Pickup a used Spyderco milli!

That said the Endura and Delica are great knives. I've reverted back to them after roughly 5 years of trying out much pricier knives. My favorite thing about the Endura and Delica is that they're true work folders. You're not afraid to get them used and abused and in fact you want to use and abuse them. Just yesterday my wife needed a knife in the yard I had on my a different Spyderco which I wasn't going to let her use. That said I grabbed the Endura and flung it across my yard 60 feet into the dirt. She picked it up proceeded to cut open bags of dirt without missing a beat. You can whack the scales with a hammer, which I've done, they're pretty indestructible.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    CPM3V likes this.
  6. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    If you get the Endura with a saber grind and not the full flat grind there is a lot more meat at the top making for a strong tip. It’s a fantastic knife at your budget

Mikel_24 and CPM3V like this.
  7. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Oh or the American lawman is a great option as well in that price range. Or the cold steel tuff lite is another sweet work knife for very cheap prices and has a box cutter shape blade. Sorta

DocJD and CPM3V like this.
  8. Hologram

Hologram Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Once you've narrowed it down to 2-3 knives, go on Youtube and watch some videos on each one, especially the vids where they compare your choices. Most popular knives have comparison vids with other knives in the same class.

CPM3V and Cosmodragoon like this.
  9. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019

Good idea! Thanks for all the help guys!

10. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    This set up works for me.

[​IMG]

CPM3V likes this.
  11. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Delica by a landslide. The main purpose of a knife is to cut . Just brought one , 87.oo bucks

JBoone likes this.
  12. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Get a Spyderco Endura. It won't annoy you.

JBoone likes this.
  13. Baggins

Baggins

Oct 13, 2017
    I would go for a Cold Steel Broken Skull over an Endura. About the same price but with way better steel.

CPM3V, DocJD and jux t like this.
  14. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Forgot about that one, good call. Better knife in a lot of ways apart from the ridiculous name. IMO.

CPM3V likes this.
  15. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Any of the Cold Steel options mentioned should work quite well for you, imo. I have preferences towards the American Lawman, shorter blade length than what you're requesting though, and the spear point Recon 1.

Good luck with your choice!

CPM3V and DocJD like this.
  16. rustyspike

rustyspike

Jan 17, 2016
    Endura. Beat the hell out of mine. Heavy boxes,straps,light work,slicing. ETC. And don't forget warranty. Spyderco will sharpen for it for free. Do need to pay $5 for return shipping.

Rich K.

CPM3V likes this.
  17. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    If you want something that is super tough but has decent cutting ability the recon 1 is hard to beat. I used to have an aus8 one that I beat the heck out of, which never phased it. I still have my xhp.

CPM3V and DocJD like this.
  18. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Get the Spyderco Endura used on the Exchange here at BFC.

Great knife, and usually some good deals to be had on the exchange.

Nothing wrong with an Endura for a work piece.

JBoone, metaxasm and CPM3V like this.
  19. CPM3V

Jun 5, 2019
    Very Nice! do you have trouble re holstering at all? I just started experimenting with an Ulti-clip on a small kydex sheath clipped strait to the pocket. It is working okay so far.

20. CPM3V

Jun 5, 2019
    It is about an 1 inch to short for what I would like it to do. It looks good though.

21. CPM3V

Jun 5, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestion. That is a really good looking knife, I think I would prefer the CTS-XHP any way. I am putting it at the top of my list currently. Its a dumb name in my opinion though. And with the name painted across the whole blade... It would probably wear off in a few moths maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.