Advice on Blueing

I've blued a number of khuks, and like the result. Whether it helps against rust/corrosion, can't say. I live in California, in a low-humidity environment.

If you like the look of it, I can recommend it. I like the Birchwood-Casey "Super Blue", which has more of the bluing agent (acid?) than the Perma-Blue, and produces a darker result.

Joe

Is blueing the blade a thing? Like would y’all recommend it? Or not...
It is definitely a thing. I blue the khuk that I keep in the truck or in my traveling bag. I live in high humility and my blued blades have not developed rust being stored out in vehicles. I try to keep oil on them too.

I blued a CAK once, I really like it! But I don't think it was really needed here in N. CA, as our humidity doesn't get very high.

Last edited:
I've blued a few MMB's and a khuk or two. I use all the cold blues, sometimes use one and then the other and go back and forth until I get the look I want.
Sometimes it helps to warm the metal just a bit. (just warm, not hot) I try not to let the bluing fully dry before a hot water rinse, seems to help eliminate blotchy spots but using the different types helps with that too.

I have an HI Hanshe model that was previously owned by DannyInJapan, who made several modifications to suit his martial arts style, and also blued the blade (and handle). It looks great:

Hanshee18.5in-Sher23oz-Satisal-DannyFletcher-04.jpg

I live in SC and have blued a few blades, this one I did a few months ago and is holding up well.
ZQnUla6.jpg

Blueing is just "pre-rusting" so to speak.

Interesting it's the same chemical used to
make bacon and ham, sodium nitrate.

A guy can use bacon to put on a light blue and lavender color.

Back